X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car guys- Splitfire spark Plugs??

Hay,

Do they still make these?
    Do they really improve gas mileage/performance? Even the slightest bit?

Are there any downsides to using these?

I got a 78 305 I'm trying to get the most out of as far as gas mileage goes.

Thanks,
    Steve

I had those in my Vette..I thought it ran good with them..but this local Vette Guru scolded me and put some good stock ones in there..it did run better..

I don't know if they still make 'em, that was arounf '93 or so..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

So are you saying it ran better with or without em?

Comment

I used them in a harley of mine years ago....Did not see or feel any performance increase or decrease or ease of starting/gas mileage.....I think they are probably a waste of time & $$. Exhaust and air intake will increase gas mileage if done right...and of coarse....no hole shots

Comment

They are an over rated POS. The negative ground end ( the piece that is split like a snakes tounge ) shields a lot of the spark since its is so big....not good.

If you are really interested in this concept.... get some ND U-Groove plugs or even better yet, an MSD ignition system.-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I think its a just a gimmick. Any high quality plug will deliver more than enough spark to get a clean burn. the important thing is having the proper reach and temp, range
            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I'm just trying to get the most gas mileage I can get.
              I've got a 78 Impala 305. Its a heavy ghetto sled. But its all I have till I get my 85 Camaro going (putting a starter/flexplate on it).

It has a smog pump and all kinds of unnesecary crap on it. One of those emissions carbs too.
              I heard to take the smog pump off, you have to port the heads larger?
              I heard that will increase the gas mileage tho.

I also tried to flip the lid on the air cleaner, and with that carb, it seemed like it did worse on gas?

I don't have to worry about emissions, so I was thinking about takign the smog pump off, and putting some headers on it, and maybe getting a better carb. I don't mind working, but I do mind spending. I'm jsut tryin to fidn ways to get the most for my gas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys..

Comment

Just take the belt off the smog pump....that will save you about 5-10 HP of parasitic drag right there. You can completely remove and cap off the smog system, but, it isnt going to do anything more than spare you some weight.

Punch a hole throught the plates in the catalytic converter to let the exhaust flow through easier.

Adding headers and a new carb may not help as much as you think. The stuff thats on there now was designed to be more efficient with everyday driving than headers and a new carb will be. New headers put more heat under the hood which causes worse mileage. A newer carb really wouldnt do anything more as long as your existing carb is working fine. If it is not....just buy a carb kit for about $20-30 and go at it.-Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

It ran better without them, and the splitfires were just put in the Summer before...he pulled that crap out of there and threw in some premium stock plugs in there (Motorcraft I think) and the Vette seemed happier..and it's still happy...my dad has it now..and now he's happy.

So you save money and get better performance..it was a win - win..

I heard others make the same complaint about the splitfires..fuggum.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If its an hei ignition get new wires, a good set of Bosch, AC, or Motorcrafts and a clean air filter. You flip the lid on the air filter to increase power, not economy, punching out the Converter is probably a good move too, I'm sure its pretty restrictive by now, make sure the vacuum hoses are not leaking and go buy a volvo, (just kidding)
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

It's pure marketing BS.
                      I've tossed my fair share of those in the trash.
                      Also, if your car still has to go through inspection, just pull the belt off the smog pump. Then you can put it back on for the tests.
                      And don't punch holes in your catalytic converter... it's pointless.
                      The cars intake and exhaust pressure are balanced. By flipping the air cleaner lid over... another myth btw... all you've done is increased the amount of crap that can get sucked into your intake and made the car use more gas to compensate for the increased amount of air. (you caused a lean condition that the car will correct by adding more fuel)
                      A simple tune-up using a set of good quality plugs, new air cleaner, fuel filter, cap, rotor and possibly wires, will make your car run the best.
                      All the other methods, headers and flipping air cleaner covers and such actualy make your car use MORE gas.
                      A carb rebuild is not a bad idea either and check you vacuum lines for cracking as well. Vacuum lines are cheap and easy to replace.
                      -Rick

Comment

Yeah, flipping the lid is bad for that car. By doing that you completely bypass the hot air stove that that car needs to run correctly. Make sure that the stove pipe is intact and that the vacuum hose for the flapper is working. I had a 78 impala. 2 door with that funky back window that would cost a fortune to replace. It had a broken flexplate too. Replaced that and cleaned the gunk out of the oil drain holes towards the back of the head and it ran like a champ. Thats a common problem with that era 305. If your back 2 cylinders are constantly fouling out plugs, thats probably why, clogged drain holes. Also flat cams are comon. And of course the dreaded "metric" auto trans.

Comment

"metric" auto trans?
                          Isn't it a 200R4?

The flexplate is on my camaro.. I screwed up 2 starters, not really ever thinking to take the cover off and look at it..lol..

The Impala...

So, where exactly are these oil drain holes, and how would you suggest I clean em?

I don't believe its fouling out plugs. Its barely it at all burning oil.. the plugs were clean looking.. no oil..no carbon.

I'm just trying to find everyway possible to save a bit on gas.

I appreciate all the advice/suggestions- keep it comin guys.
                          Thanks.

Comment

[QUOTE=rjohnstone]
                            The cars intake and exhaust pressure are balanced. QUOTE]
                            Not if you plug/block the EGR flow. -Lou

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer
                              Originally posted by rjohnstone
                              The cars intake and exhaust pressure are balanced.
                              Not if you plug/block the EGR flow. -Lou
                              True, but that will depend on if he still has to take it through inspection or not.
                              If not, punch away, or better yet, cut it off completely and put a piece of straight pipe in there.
                              Did I ever mention that I HATE emissions control devices.
                              Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-24-2006, 04:54 PM.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X