Motorcycle Helmet recommends.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Helmet recommends.....

Hi guys, I jsut bought a new 450 CC Suzuki GSx400e. It's a 1982 model and not a crotch rocket, but a nice city cruiser. Can anyone recommend a quality helmet for me to order. In my town we have one place, and they have limited selection and silly prices. I know my size is large-Xlarge, and Id like a vintage open face type model, with clip on shields bein a bonus.

I dont wanna spend pover 100$ usd either, so if anyone has a good comfortable helmet that wouldnt look silly on my bike, id appreicaite any help!

Here's a picture (not mine, but a bike for reference)

http://www.pilhuhn.de/hwr/motorrad/gsx400e.jpg

A HELMET IS THE MOST IMPROTANT THING YOU NEED WHEN RIDING A BIKE!

I don't think anyone here who has ridden for a while will tell you otherwise. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a high quality helmet, that fits right, has good ventilation. The more comfortable it is, the more likely you are to wear it.

Try on differnt brands. For me I liked Arai(fit my head better), some of my friends found Shoei fits them better. Go to your local bike place try some on then find one you like. It really is a personal preference thing.

Try not to buy based on how cheap a helmet it, they are usually cheap, because they have less features. Which in turn may make you want to wear it less. Not saying you need a $700 Suomy with insane Graphics, but don't base your choice on price.
    Last edited by VinceV; 04-24-2006, 06:03 PM.
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Actually I dont wear one, if I travel through a state that requires it I would just wear a Skull bucket...Its an old debate about wearing helmets I justthink its should be up to the person. To answer your question any DOT approved helmet should do here they have some cool ones

for reasonable $$ Half-Buckets

50-60 bucks should do it

Comment

For what you want a Full face HJC helmet will set you back like $119

I won't get into the helmet/gear debate either but when I'm on any of my bikes I'm geared up to the 9's
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Gonna cheap out on your head, huh? I use Arai but if you only have that much to spend then go with HJC.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I would go full face if I were you. I ride a cruiser, and my full face HJC is a little tight on me, so I wear a half helmet.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have a Shoei RF1000 right now that I use whenever I'm out on the bike, but before that I had an HJC AC11 that was a good helmet for the money. It saved my head in a crash, so it did its job. Helmet debates can get ugly, but I wouldn't go with ANY off brand.

Comment

I also like Arai, but Shoei, HJC & Icon make great helmets too. Make sure it's DOT & SNELL approved

Comment

IIRC HJC only has Snell, but I still recommend them.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I picked up a Fulmer Modus AF-M. I've been happy with it so far. It will probably become my passenger/spare helmet when I find the time and $$ to properly shop for a nicer one.
                    http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/HelmetB04.pdf#search='fulmermodus'
                    The Buzzard does not fear
                    The man in riot gear
                    Harvest a skull of stone
                    The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Shoei RF1000 here. Don't skimp on a helmet. You know the ol' saying $100 helmet for $100 head. That being said if it's DOT and SNELL approved you'll likely only being paying more for less weight and improved aerodynamics.

Forget the open face......get a full face.

Comment

I own 2 shoei's, but hjc's are good.

I have a bell for off road
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

So, you think a full face is a better safer option? This is my first bike, and im a n00b so I wanna be safe, but I also wanna enjoy nice summer cruising without the crazy heat build upo and such. Im not going on the highway, but will enjoy a little speed.

If any of you have any you wanna sell that are quality, PM me. Id like a quality helmet, but right now its looking like a cheaper HJC half or full face.

I tried on a Zox today as well, and it felt fairly good, but wasnt sure if it was worth 100$ :S

Comment

My 0.02, full face. And don't skimp. I feel like I was pushing it when I bought mine at $125. I'd much rather have a higher quality helmet. Not that I don't like what I got for my money, but safety is worth every penny. And I'll upgrade ASAP.
                            The Buzzard does not fear
                            The man in riot gear
                            Harvest a skull of stone
                            The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

hows this look

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...facemc/cl14red

I can get em for 80$ on Ebay, and its DOT and snell approved. im leaning towards that.
                              Last edited by gemini8026; 04-25-2006, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X