Motorcycle Helmet recommends.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine, fine
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
      IIRC HJC only has Snell, but I still recommend them.
      Mine is DOT I think. I'll have to check, and get back to you.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

To you guys who don't wear helmets...
        (I'm NOT going to start a helmet debate here, so don't waste your time firing back about this one)

I was an EMS first responder when I was 18/19
        We responded to a motorcycle accident where the guy WASN'T wearing a helmet. Guess what happened to his head? I don't think I have to spell it out to anyone. He was dead before he ever knew what happened, and left a few of his brains behind to remind us.

My opinon here is go FULL FACE...don't skimp at all. Skull buckets will leave your face open to being torn off in an accident. And believe me...to the Emergency aid that arrives at the scene of a motorcycle accident. It's no fun scraping someone off the road or a concrete divider.

Comment

Well said Ken.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Unfortunately I have had two friends wreck without their helmets, and neither of them survived. I am a firm believer that they do help in an accident, but it all comes down to the riders choice.

HJC are both DOT and Snell approved.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdZ
              To you guys who don't wear helmets...
              (I'm NOT going to start a helmet debate here, so don't waste your time firing back about this one)

I was an EMS first responder when I was 18/19
              We responded to a motorcycle accident where the guy WASN'T wearing a helmet. Guess what happened to his head? I don't think I have to spell it out to anyone. He was dead before he ever knew what happened, and left a few of his brains behind to remind us.

My opinon here is go FULL FACE...don't skimp at all. Skull buckets will leave your face open to being torn off in an accident. And believe me...to the Emergency aid that arrives at the scene of a motorcycle accident. It's no fun scraping someone off the road or a concrete divider.
              Well put.
              My head and the rest of me are still here because of my Shoei.
              It was on display at Apache Honda for many years after my wreck.
              I slid 50+ ft on my back after some twit turned in front of me.
              Long story short... full face helmet, riding boots, leather jacket, gloves and jeans = no road rash. Just two broken thumbs from not letting go of the handlebars fast enough and a concusion from landing on my head before the long slide through the intersection.
              I was VERY lucky.
              The helmet was actualy cracked from front to back... that's how hard I hit, but it did it's job.
              That was the last time I ever drove a motorcycle on the street.
              -Rick

Comment

There's probably not a huge difference safety wise between a $100 helmet and a $600 helmet provided that it's DOT/SNELL approved. But there absolutely is a HUGE difference in comfort and features like weight, ventilation, noise, shield removal, etc. Out of all the helmets I've tried Arai is by far the best and I wouldn't ride without one. Suomy and Shoei make some good helmets too.

Comment

I used to just putt around on little euro/asian scooters (that I would kit up of course...LOL!) I had a couple that topped out at 70 mph.

I used a full face for those as well. Even at near 70 mph...you can get pretty torn/broken up...remember inertia...if the bike goes down, you-the rider keeps going.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. After ALMOST buying a half unit, I ponied up and bought a new model HJC CL-15 thats DOT and SNELL approved.

I thought buying a bike would be a little different, as of right now, im driving overly paranoid and it's necessary to be safe, but it's tough to let loose knowing how many people run red lights like nothing. Ive taken a safety course and studied my safety manuals well, so I hope that I have a safe and enjoyable riding career.

Comment

Just remember this and you'll be fine.
                      People driving cars don't see you!!!
                      The lady that turned in front of me said she never saw me.
                      More like she wasn't paying attention.
                      Anyway... keep your eyes open and enjoy the ride.
                      Bikes are really fun, but I'll just stick to riding in the dirt for now.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026
                        Thanks for the tips guys. After ALMOST buying a half unit, I ponied up and bought a new model HJC CL-15 thats DOT and SNELL approved.
                        Great! The CLs are highly rated, I almost bought a CL-12 when they first came out.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here is what you need to get on that nice new bike and NOT be a statistic.
                          1.Full Face Helmet
                          2.ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) Pants, boots, gloves jacket CE rated)
                          3.MSF Basic Riders course.

Omit one and your chances for accident/injury escalate ridiculuosly. It is really easy to ride safely and not end up in a hospital bed or worse. Just my 2cents.

chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

whatever you get don't cheap out...a good helmet can and WILL save you life.

You have to be extremely careful on the roads and be defensive. Bikes are hard for some people to see so you always have to be on your toes and watch out for the blind idiots
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

A helmet is worth every penny DO NOT be cheap.- get good leathers too. no open toe shoes :lol

Comment

Working...
                              X