Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videocams - Hard Drive vs. DVD?

Which is better? And why?

I'd like to be able to burn DVDs for family/friends, so I'm thinking (guessing, really) the hard drive-types will be better to interface with my home PC. I'm also thinking they'll be more reliable / less prone to disruption from movement. ...Maybe these aren't true, though?

Also, anyone have a good website to recommend to explain specs, and compare manufacturers/models? I remember a cam-expert site from a few years ago, but can't seem to find it.

Try DVSPOT. That site usually has alot of good reviews. I personally would stick with DV over an HD(Hard Drive not High Def) or DVD unit. Most computers are able to link to your DV camera, where you can then edit and ,author a DVD an burn it.

http://www.dvspot.com/

OR
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
    Last edited by VinceV; 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM.
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

DVD or Hard Drive do not necessarily have better quality than DV tape. It is more dependent on the lens/CCD. With DVD you seem to be limited to 20-30 minutes per DVD. With Hard Drive the last I checked only JVC had Hard Drive based cameras and the reviews were not great.

After researching on CNet and Amazon.com user reviews, I went with a Sony HC-96 DV based camera even though I would have preferred a Hard Drive based camera. If you don't mind the time limitations of DVD it should work. If you don't mind waiting, wait until more companies come out with Hard Drive based camera. If you don't mind working with the older, most mature technology, go with DV. BTW, it is very easy to transfer DV video to your computer. If you don't have a firewire port on your desktop, you can buy an add-on card for less than 50 bucks. Real easy to install, too.

Comment

Working...
      X