The Da Vinci Code - May 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Da Vinci Code - May 19

How many of you guys/gals have read Dan Brown's book? I read recently that 45 million copies have been sold so far....the movie's gonna be a blockbuster!

IMDB page: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/

I usually don't like Tom Hanks' acting, but from the trailer it seems like he's giving this role the seriousness it requires. Also, I had always thought Hanks was kind of a chubby goofball lookin' fella but it looks like for this one the makeup department gave him a distinguished look: the hair is longer and a bit grayer at the sides, and it appears Hanks has lost a little weight....I think visually he'll make a great Langdon.

Check out the official website:

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/

it has a pretty cool design with ominous music and hidden spooky stuff.

Well as you can tell, I'm really looking forward to May 19 (release may be a bit earlier for you Euros - check the first link) - I have been invited to go on opening night...that's really rare for me...I've only seen 2 movies ever on the night they open...T2 in 1991 and Ronin in 1998. I hate seeing movies with huge crowds of people...the talking, laughing, crinkling of plastic wrappers, eating and drinking sounds really take me out of the movie....so I usually see a movie at the end of its screen life...that means sucky theaters but many times it's nice not to have the crush of humanity all around you.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

I read all of Dan Browns books. They are all great. Really great.

Comment

Agree on the books. Great reads, all. I actually kind of thought "Angels and Demons" (which features the Langdon character, and came out before "DaVinci") was better than "DaVinci" in some respects.

But yeah...they read like you're watching a movie. Very fun.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to add: Can't wait for the movie. The wife and I will be there opening weekend for sure.

Comment

I read DaVinci Code and Angels&Demons. I liked them both! Can't wait for the movie!

Comment

agreed on all scores....

As if Dan Brown needs it, he's gonna clean up at the box office with this movie. If only half of the people who read the book go see the movie, thats 22 million tickets sold x $10/ticket = $220 million gross box office, likely higher given the strong movie potential for the book. With all the religious controversy and buzz the book has generated, I don't even think film critic disapproval would keep moviegoers away.

Comment

Digital Fortress and Deception Point are 2 other fantastic books. If you dig computers and the internet... Digital Fortress is a MUST READ!!!!
              I was glued to that book from beginning to end.

Comment

undecided if I'll go see it yet. I don't go to the movies often anyway & could probably wait until it comes out on video. Or on tv.

The books were pretty good. Entertaining light reads.

I mean......they were excellent books. Great stories well written. That's why they were bestsellers, because the great unwashed masses only go hog wild for quality product, right? Same reason Britney Spears is a star.

I've read a couple of them, anyway. They were enjoyable enough. I thought Langdon was a good character. Angels & Demons was a better book. Although it and The Code both felt kinda flimsy in places.

After I finished those two, the wife offered to buy me some more of Brown's books, but I think I've had my fill of his writing. I'd probably rate him just below Alistair McLean, and leagues above Clive Cussler. I'm still smarting from my one attempt to read a Dirk Pitt novel.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Jean Reno as the French Detective? Who'd have thunk it???

I'm looking forward to this one, I enjoyed the book.

Comment

Umm.. I didn't care for the book..

Angels and Demons is better...hmmmm maybe I should read that one..

is it REALLY better..???
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree with Gary on the "light reading" aspect. I enjoyed Davinci Code much more than Deception Point, which I found to be a little bit too "Dean Koontz" for my tastes.

I will go to see the movie after the initial rush.
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                        Umm.. I didn't care for the book..

Angels and Demons is better...hmmmm maybe I should read that one..

is it REALLY better..???
                        I like davinci code better . Maybe cause I read it first, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B
                          I agree with Gary on the "light reading" aspect.
                          yep; fun fluff

I'll probably see the movie

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B
                            I agree with Gary on the "light reading" aspect. I enjoyed Davinci Code much more than Deception Point, which I found to be a little bit too "Dean Koontz" for my tastes.

I will go to see the movie after the initial rush.
                            What did you think of Digital Fortress? I thought the entire concept was really cool.

Angels and Demons was really good.

Comment

JG, I haven't read either of those yet. Can you recommend one over the other? I hear buzz about Angels & Demons, but nothing of Digital Fortress. What do you think?
                              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                              X