The Da Vinci Code - May 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy B
    JG, I haven't read either of those yet. Can you recommend one over the other? I hear buzz about Angels & Demons, but nothing of Digital Fortress. What do you think?
    IMHO, here are they are starting with the best:

The Davinci Code
    Angels & Demons
    Digital Fortress
    Deception Point

If you like internet virus computer type stuff, Digital Fortress is EXCELLENT.

Angels and Demons has alot of action in it.

Comment

Thanks for the insight; I think Angels & Demons will be the one for now.
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I too have read all of his stuff. Great books. The movie is going to kick some serious ass. Dan Brown has said that watching the movie is like watching the novel. So apparently it follows the book very closely.

All of his books would make excellent movies I think.

jgcable is right on the money that list... IMO though I would start with A&D because it introduces Robert Langdon.
        Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Yes, Angels & Demons is the better book, much more action-packed but with a similar plot. There are a couple cheesy incidents, including one James Bond type escape that (a) is very obviously foreshadowed
          and (b) will be tough to do on film without the audience going
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I read all of Dan's books...after reading the DaVinci code.

I also read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", "The Gnostic Gospels" and "Templar Revelations". All interesting books as well.

I have always found the Templars fascinating...and all of this tied in so well with Carnivale', the greatest show ever (FUCK YOU HBO for cancelling my favorite show, I cancelled your ass in response).

So, yeah, I will see the movie.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans
              Jean Reno as the French Detective? Who'd have thunk it???
              :ROTF:

No shit. That was his role in the Pink Panther as well. That really sucky one with Steve Martin.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I can't wait. I only hope it's actually as good as it looks in the trailer. A&D is still on my nightstand. I haven't read it yet. This movie coming out has motivated me to get back into Dan Brown. I'll probably start A&D tonight.
                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Ha, you won't be able to put it down, Jim!

Comment

Dan Brown is really good at telling a fast paced action packed story although the "quality" of his literature is a little dubious if your into that type of thing.
                    I finished all the books within a few days because I couldnt put them down.

Digital fortress was good but very depressing if you have any idea about how computers/cryptography etc.. actually work. The whole concept that all you have to do to decrypt large keys is to build a computer with a million processors is quite laughable. (well unless your someone who trusts DES encryption :p) I also cant believe that these NSA big guns were stupid enough to fuck up like they did (il not say anymore incase people havnt read it)
                    If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgUK
                      Dan Brown is really good at telling a fast paced action packed story although the "quality" of his literature is a little dubious if your into that type of thing.
                      I finished all the books within a few days because I couldnt put them down.

Digital fortress was good but very depressing if you have any idea about how computers/cryptography etc.. actually work. The whole concept that all you have to do to decrypt large keys is to build a computer with a million processors is quite laughable. (well unless your someone who trusts DES encryption :p) I also cant believe that these NSA big guns were stupid enough to fuck up like they did (il not say anymore incase people havnt read it)
                      True.. but many of Dans books have unbelievable scenario's in them. What about the helicopter ("tarp") scenario??? or the fountain scenario?? or the the huge staircase scenario. They are all super cool parts of his books but a tad far fetched!
                      I wish he wrote as many books as Stephen King. I am still stuggling through The Stand. Its almost like work trying to get through that book.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                        What about the helicopter ("tarp") scenario???
                        Yep, that's the scene I was alluding to....

Comment

Man, you guys are really into this stuff..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It was a good book. I agree A&D was the better read, though.

I'm not looking forward to the movie at all, though. I just think this is the kind of book that won't translate to a film very well. Too much detail, needing to explain history, etc. for a 2 hour popcorn movie. And, while I like Tom Hanks, I think he's probably just wrong for the role. ...Who knows? Maybe it'll turn out well. I just highly doubt it. I'll wait for the DVD rental.

Comment

I wanna see something just a little more intellectual like...ummmm..Bench warmers..

or Nacho Libre..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                                True.. but many of Dans books have unbelievable scenario's in them. What about the helicopter ("tarp") scenario??? or the fountain scenario?? or the the huge staircase scenario. They are all super cool parts of his books but a tad far fetched!
                                Yeah, I had real problems with the whole "Antimatter bomb detonation over a major metropolis with no subsequent flash or blast effects" scenario...

Comment

Working...
                                X