No announcement yet.

Jiffy Lube ripoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jiffy Lube once forgot to replace a part on the engine in my sister's car (I forget which part) then when my sister went back to them, they tried to tell her SHE removed the part and tried to deny everything.

My wife once took her car to a Jiffy Lube type place and they didn't replace her oil drain plug properly and over the course of the day almost all of her oil leaked out. I spoke to the manager and all he offered to do is replace the oild with "high quality" oil.

Comment

The owner's manual for my Olds Alero states 7,500 miles unless it is idled for long periods(like taxi use), or driven in continuously dusty conditions. I change it more often than that only because I am anal.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

WHat sucks too is someone invented this and it gets no press. It would completely kill the oil industry if auto makers made it standard on all cars.

Comment

I used to work in a tire store that offered popular services like the transmission and radiator flushes. I have to admit, from time to time a few services were forgotten but we NEVER intentionally cheated a customer. Typically when we forgot to do something (which happens more than you would think.....) we would call them up and invite them back in for the service for a reduced price (refund them some or all of the money they paid).

That being said I do know of automotive service centers that engage in "shady" behavior. Wal-Mart is no exception and dealerships are the WORST.

The services offered by many of these places are "good" and worth the money. However, keep maintenance records of your purchases/services. Many shops don't "check" the air filter, tranny fluid, etc., they will just go on recommended miles/time. Also, if a part is being replaced ask to keep the old part. If there is a core charge ask to inspect the old part--if they refuse..RUN away and take your business elsewhere.

Comment

Well if you check the hidden video, one of the workers sets a new oil filter down on the fender then 2 minutes later obviously picks it up and puts it back on the shelf. I know you can tell an old filter from a new one.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I guess I am lucky. I know the manager of the oil place right next to my show. I am usualy chatting with him while they do my oil. Only thing I pay extra for is the synthetic blend.

Matt

Comment

Now it's EZ Lube's turn

http://www.nbc4.tv/investigations/9897560/detail.html

Comment

I went with my buddy to Jiffy Lube one time when he needed an oil change for his Celica. He did this right after replacing his hood, quarter panels, and lights after an accident, and he just had the car painted. Well, all went well, no attempts at ripping off. We headed down the road maybe 1/4 mile, and up comes the hood, smashing his windshield and sun roof, and cracking the quarter panels. Jiffy Lube at least payed for it, but I'll never go to one after that.
                  EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

3000k miles was created shortly after all theoil change places started popping up so they could increase sales.

I go between 5-7k miles on all of my vehicles before oil changes.

My neighbor own a bunch of Texico Oil changin stores...he's an honest business man and I trust him 100%...his stores do not rip off people but it is standard practice to pad the sale. I told him "dude...if you want me to continue to take my cars to your shop...tell your guys to quit trying to sell me something else I didn't go in there for "

I don't EVER buy shit I'm not out to buy and I don't need someone to ask me...if I want something...I'll initiate the sale
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah, some asshat at the local JLube once tried to pull the old air filter switcheroo on me.

Him: "Oh, look at the soot in this. It's so dirty that it's dangerous. I can replace it for only $40."

Me: "No, asshole. I just replaced that air filter myself a few weeks ago. Throw that old POS out, and stop trying to scam customers with it. And then put my real air filter back in."

Him: "No, really. This is your real air filter."

Me: "You're taking this too far. Cut the s**t right now, or I call the police and ask that you be charged with theft for stealing my real air filter".

He walks away grumbling, and finishes my car. When I get home I check the air filter. Yep, there's the clean one I had installed myself. Then I filed a complaint with the State AG's office and BBB for his BS scam. The sad thing is, probably notthing came of it and he's still scamming people who fall for it.

Comment

I change my oil every 12,000 miles. Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic + K&N Oil Filter.
                        If you have doubts about whether or not your oil is good when you change it, take a sample and have it analyzed.

-a

Comment

I did the marker on the oil filter thing to the Jiffy Lube down the street.
                          Put a HUGE X right there for all to see.
                          As they were getting ready to close the hood, I asked when they were gonna change the oil filter. They said they did... then I pointed to the HUGE X on the filter. You can imagine the conversation from that point on.
                          I go to another Jiffy Lube a bit farther away now. They're the only place around and open when I have the time to get it done.
                          The one I go to now has no issue with me watching them. I explained what happened at the other one and the manager told me the manager at the other place was a dick and that he wasn't surprised at all.
                          I'm still cautious, but at least the people at this shop don't try and BS me.
                          They just change the fucking oil.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                            Me: "No, asshole.
                            Heh, did you say that? I would've been a little nicer while he's still futzing around under the hood. Then laid it on him after I get the car back.

Comment

Heh. Just noticed this is an old thread, and I posted the same story in it twice. ...F**kin' resurrectors! My memory sucks. :ROTF:

It's been a couple of years, I think, Ron. No, I doubt I literally said "asshole" to him. Just trying to give the jist of the story. At the time, I was certainly thinking it to myself, though. And he was definitely getting strongly pissed off attitude from me.

...Besides, what's the worst he could do? Leave the drain plug off? (That happened to me once, too. ) Leave the air filter out? And, at that point, I was standing up and watching everything they did to her car for the rest of of the visit. And I lived just down the road anyway. If he pulled any more BS, I would've been right back in his shop, and he would've been getting a lot more than attitude then.

Comment

Fucking hell chaps, you have no idea what was going through my mind when I started looking at this thread!!! The phrase "Jiffy Lube" brings all sorts of images to my twisted mind. I was more than faintly disappointed to find it related to cars!

For the record, I used to change all my own oil etc on my old cars, but now I have a Jag, I take it to the nice men at the dealership, where they treat me like a valued owner of a prestige motor marque. As they bend me over and fuck me.
                                If it wasn't all shiny and new and hi-tech under there, I'd be doing it myself, perhaps I will have a go sooner or later once I get over the phobia of removing plastic covers that say "Do Not Remove" on them!!!!
                                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                                X