sound proofing and unfinished room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound proofing and unfinished room

My house will be done in about two weeks and I am going to need to sound proof one of the rooms as much as possible. My band will also be practicing in it.

The framework is done and there are electrical outlets but there is no insulation or rock. I can get some pics of the room if it would help.

Also, at nearly every practice space I have been at with a band there has always been a window that always ends up cracking or breaking. Is there an easy way to protect the window? Normally I would not be too concerned about it but if something happened to one of the windows in our new house, my other half would kill me.

Any suggestions besides finishing the room?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

If you want total sound proofing you need to "float" the room. Make a room inside a room. since you are in the framing stage it should be easier. You can find info online about the specific details of decoupling or floating a room. Use plexiglass for the window. Good luck

Comment

In short, low frequencies are HARD to block off. Mass is the key to isolate for them, i.e. a block wall or double up on 1/2" sheet rock. Very little else helps with low frequencies.
      For high frequencies Auralex makes a product called Sheetblok. It is like 3/8" thick X 3" roll of a rubber like material. You can line it over the sheet rock walls and apply another layer of sheet rock to sandwich it in between. Expensive but very effective.
      Pay attention to doors and door material. If you are using flex A/Cducts I wouldn't be too concerned.

I looked into isolating MY room and it just got crazy expensive and logisitcs were a pain. At the end the frustration in blocking the low freqs. set me off to another day and project.
      I have a Rivera Sub hooked with my 2X12 and 4X12 cabs and coupled with my Mesa RK or Engl PB required some heavy duty insulation.

Just like Dawg said, you have to de-couple the room to prevent vibration to travel and therefore spread the sound.
      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53080
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
        X