why classical music is more relaxing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why classical music is more relaxing?

i have to do it for an english essay (go figure)

well obvious reasons like its nice and slow and quit and instrumental but i need more professional reasons lol

u might not agree with it but thats the question

any answers would be helpful
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Phrasing, the generally feel of pieces, they arent in your face and angry such as slayer, they arre calming, and stutle, while still keeping the abillity to present different moods, and feelings for the listener.

Might it be a help if you listen to some to get an idea and feel of pieces....

It's things like the atmosphere, I suppose the soft sound of violins, pianos, and soft instruments, that greatly helps with the non agressive sounds they have....

So I suppose you could consider these aspects of classical such as these which contribute to it's generally relaxing vibe....

Ozz

Comment

Also has a lot to do with production... Classical records aren't given the same treatment as modern records of almost every genre (where everything is just a hair below the point of clipping).

Comment

Not all classical music is relaxing. Some of it can be very dark, unsettling or disturbing if that was what the composer intended. Some of it can be loud & fast as well. Sorry, not helpful...

Comment

I'm not a history major or anything, but I would say that classical is relaxing because it was composed to be relaxing. As far as I know, classical composers were funded by filthy rich sponsers to write music, and I would venture to say those wealthy people said "compose some music for me that makes me feel relaxed." I don't think they said "make me some music that will make me sad and angry." Also, before making music for rich sponsers, a lot of classical music was composed for the church, so the music was most likely composed for a relaxing church environment.

I think that it was not until the "Romantic" period of classical music when composers were less dependant on wealthy sponsers and were able to explore more emotion in their music (ie, Symphonie Fantastique and the like).

So, basically, classical music was meant to be relaxing and therefore is, like modern day "adult contemporary" and the like.

Comment

I think iced earth is correct. It's not like they had CD's or anything that would likely allow you to hear a piece of music more than once, so most music was composed to entertain, and when we get down to it, people who want to be entertained dont want stuff shoved in their face.

Comment

I think the key is repitition and variation. usually in pieces in sonate or symphonie-form phrases are first introduced to the listener (exposition) and later in the piece repeated and variated. this gives the listener the feel of understanding what's going on, which results in a more relaxed mood maybe.
              a further point is dynamics. most songs in popular music maybe fade in or out, but during the song almoust everything is at the same volume. the dynamics in classical music gives it a more intense feel IMO.
              and, even if it sounds stupid maybe, the length of a classical piece is most likely by far longer than it is usual in todays music. when I turn on the radio, everything is about 3-4 minutes and consists of 80% refrain, which is about to ensure it keeps in your mind for the two weeks the song is "in" or up to date or whatever.
              a classical piece of half an hour or so, gives you just more time to emotionally adapt to the feel of it.

I'm not sure if anything is of use for you, I'm just expressing my mind, never thought about it to be honest...

but I somehow have to disagree on classicla music beeing composed to relax. there's just too many pieces I know and like that give me all different moods, not only relaxment.
              if you take beethovens piano sonata in c-minor for example, op 111 first phrase, it turns into something you clearly can't relax on. it's pretty close to meedly mee instead...
              or out of brahms second symphonie the hungary dance (not sure about english title) No. 5, there's clearly something different going on...
              even though I agree some of the classical stuff can be VERY relaxing.

good luck on your essay!
              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Consider the times when most of the classical music was composed. There was no media and very few pleasureable diversions but music. There was also a fierce competetion going on amounst the elite to have the "Best" and "Latest" new thing in music. It was a logical progression from 1 to 2 to 3..... piece bands that had no bounds as to how many musicians could be in the "group". The composers just went with it. To accomodate all the varied instruments, the composers could produce "Moods" and let the listener's imagination run amuck. To see all those dudes live and shut your eyes and let the music take them away had to be, and still is, relaxing. Then they went out and died at 28.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

it depends on the piece in my opinion. Perhaps you should state that, what is cool about ANY music is the dynamics. Listen to Vivaldi's four seasons and tell me the relaxing parts and the parts that are not relaxing

A fast tempo piece of music with multiple harmonies and flurries of notes are not relaxing whether its played on by a metal band w/a super strat and wall of amps or symphony with a violin and cello.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

There are indeed many sections of classical music that are NOT relaxing, but you guys have to remeber that his English teacher has assigned him to an essay as to why it IS. Contradicting your teacher's main thesis is usually the way to get a C or lower grade, so he has to go with the question as asked.

I think timeframe is key. Most classical music is longer in duraqtion than our radio songs of today. It builds the mood slowly and you have more time to absorb the piece and relax, as opposed to 3-4 minute rock songs where you're exposed to a different mood every few minutes. With classical pieces you have time to sit back, settle in, and take a lengthy musical ride. It's like going to a movie as opposed to watching commercials for 2 hours. You'll be more relaxed enjoying one "story" in that time.

I don't know if you agree with that, Michael, but I'd say it's pretty likely that an English teacher would see it this way, and of course teachers prefer those who they believe think as they do. So, hope this helps.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't even say that classical music is more relaxing particularly than any other kind of music. I like a lot of classical, but I prefer the louder more dramatic stuff from Holst, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. The stuff I like isn't the quiet, boring stuff by any means. I think that a lot of metal is structured very similar to classical music. Take Rust in Piece for example. The songs aren't all verse/chorus/verse like pop songs. They consist of intro pieces, nifty time changes, build up, climax, etc.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Here is a link seperating the periods of classical music for you with some basic descriptions:
                        http://www.classical.net/music/rep/periods.html

I would focus on the music of the Baroque and Classical periods for your essay as those were the periods when I feel music was composed to be relaxing. Music from Mahler and the like during the Romatic period (Beethoven is around the time of the transition from Classical to Romantic) is definitely not soothing. Good luck!

Comment

okay dudes ..

+100000 to all of u , u provided me with some great information!
                          If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by iced_earth
                            I'm not a history major or anything, but I would say that classical is relaxing because it was composed to be relaxing. As far as I know, classical composers were funded by filthy rich sponsers to write music, and I would venture to say those wealthy people said "compose some music for me that makes me feel relaxed." I don't think they said "make me some music that will make me sad and angry." Also, before making music for rich sponsers, a lot of classical music was composed for the church, so the music was most likely composed for a relaxing church environment.

I think that it was not until the "Romantic" period of classical music when composers were less dependant on wealthy sponsers and were able to explore more emotion in their music (ie, Symphonie Fantastique and the like).

So, basically, classical music was meant to be relaxing and therefore is, like modern day "adult contemporary" and the like.
                            This more or less sums it up.
                            Music, and well ... all art for that matter, during this time period were mostly done on commission. The biggest sources of commission were the Church and wealthy aristocracy. The Chuch, obviously, would largely want music that would be considered "reverant," and the aristocracy would have wanted music that would largely be relaxing, sophisticated, and generally reflect on the comissionee of having high class and taste.

-a

Comment

Working...
                            X