Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seriously, the most reconizable riff in history is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lerxstcat
    It's in G, double stops. You can either use open G and D, then 3rd, 5th and 7th frets, or start on 5th fret D and A strings. Or to make it fuller use the R5O 3-string power chords, but Ritchie just played double stops through a Marshall Major 200-watt head.

Actually, one that's even easier and more recognizable is probably the riff in Satisfaction by the Stones.
    What!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????

You think something is so simple........

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

You guys forgot about "Johnny B. Goode" and Satisfaction. Although I would probably eliminate JBG because it's a long extended phrase more than a riff. A riff is short and to the point.

The acid test of a recognizable riff is that you can sing it, and even people who don't play music can still recognize it. I doubt Layla would pass this test, even among guitarists.
      Just a guitar player...

Comment

Louis Louis~

In August 1983, a marathon celebrating the song was held at KFJC Radio in Los Altos Hills, California. For 63 hours, the event known as "Maximum Louie Louie" captivated local and international media alike, playing every known version of the song, encouraging others to deliver their own recording of the song up to the station, where it would find a guaranteed audience on the radio. At the time of the marathon, there were over 800 documented recordings of the song. Since that point in time, the number of known recordings has at least doubled, with the last count somewhere around the 1,600 range.

Beyond hard and hillybilly rock, I would think this is the most recognised riff by the general public. I wouldn't think anyone under 30, that isn't a guitar player, cares about a band named, "Derek and the Dominos" anymore.

http://www.louielouie.net/05-louie-faq.htm

Comment

After thinking about it some more, the most recognizable riff in history has to be the intro to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

Wild Thing -troggs
            all day and all of the night -kinks
            you really got me -kinks and VH
            Last edited by len; 05-13-2006, 07:05 AM.
            “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
              Unchained! Well, i wish it was.

+1..........
              "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

when i come inside my local guitar store everyone plays the riff for fade to black :S ( the chords Am C G E G Am)
                If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                  What!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????

You think something is so simple........

Mike
                  Well, it IS simple, but I made an error telling you! The highest notwe of the riff is on the 6th fret, not the 7th. Must've been braindead there, I need to shit some 3-foot logs and a couple of egg sacs out so I can clear my head!

That's definitely a riff that is easier to play than to describe. Double stops is just playing 4ths on 2 adjacent strings if you didn't know already.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Layla?? Give me a break. What were they smoking?

Within rock music, I vote for Smoke on the Water as well. I taught myself that riff the first day I ever played a guitar.

Comment

Summertime Blues.........

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon
                        think you mean sweet home alabama? there really is no riff per se in free bird.
                        +1. I was thinking Sweet Home Alabama all throughout the first page, then I got to the second and you'd beat me to it! Every time I hear the intro now, my mouth starts watering for KFC like I'm Pavlov's dog or something.

Comment

I'm going with Stairway....

But yeah...Smoke on the Water takes a very close second IMO

Comment

If we're talking about rock music, it has to be Smoke on the Water. But there are at least 10 other famous riffs that would be close seconds. Most of them have been mentioned on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak
                              when i come inside my local guitar store
                              You'd think they'd ban you....
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Strangel by DUDEFUCKINHELLYEAH!

Duh, that was easy. Second would be either Iron Man or Highway to Hell, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X