X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lopez Leaves Opeth

From Opeth's site:

Martin Lopez leaves Opeth!

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael Åkerfeldt: " However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures."

Yep, I wondered why Mikael left New Zealand (while the other guys stayed on for a holiday) after the concert last week and this is the reason. Too bad. I have to say though, Axe is a MACHINE live.

Good thing is that Lopez is still playing.

Who knows what might happen in the future?
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Saw this coming.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary
        Who knows what might happen in the future?
        Lopez will either clean up / get off heroin or disappear off the face of the earth / die.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
          Saw this coming.
          +1

Axe has been filling in for Lopez for so long already that he was kinda permanent anyways already. I've seen Opeth live with both guys, I think Axe is a perfect replacement for Lopez (playing-wise).
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
            Saw this coming.
            Interestingly, when I asked Mikael whether he'd ever be back, he said "I don't know".

Comment

Yeah, but Ron knew...

James

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
                Lopez will either clean up / get off heroin or disappear off the face of the earth / die.
                Holy shit I didn't even know there was a heroin addiction involved! That SUCKS! He is definately my favorite drummer, from a feel standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                  Holy shit I didn't even know there was a heroin addiction involved! That SUCKS! He is definately my favorite drummer, from a feel standpoint.
                  This is purely speculation, and unfounded.

-a

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Then I guess one of their tourmates was lying. I'm not one of the internet speculators that heard some guy on a forum somewhere say something about how he thinks Lopez is addicted to heroin. Several people have heard about this through different people that have some sort of relation to the band.
                      Last edited by Inearthed; 05-13-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X