Need some advice... (band related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice... (band related)

The second band I'm in was scheduled to do a brief 7 to 10 day road trip at the end of September with another band from our area. I was really looking forward to hitting the road again because playing a show every night was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had in my life. We've been talking about the dates for months now and last week the drummer found a post in our discussion board where we were discussing about what days to take off work for our trip and immediately told us that he couldn't go because he had school during that time. Losing a guitar player or a bassist or vocalist isn't that big of a blow (since the other guitarist used to do vocals, and our current vocalist also can play bass and guitar, plus I can also play bass) but no one else in the band can play drums ..

Now, I don't want to seem like a total dick here and I understand that school is important, but is it really asking that much for someone to take 5 days off of school to have the time of their life and actually do something to further the band? Am I also totally out of line to think that it is unfair for 4 of the 5 members of the band ready to pretty much drop everything and hit the road and the 5th person doesn't want to sacrifice anything? To make matters worse when I asked the drummer when he could hit the road he sort of shrugged and followed it up with "How much is it going to cost?" Is it just me, or does this guy just want to be a part of the band when it is convenient for him?

This attitude combined with his laziness / bitching / poor performances at practices are really starting to get on my nerves (and by poor performances I mean not trying). I ride up to our practice space with the bass player two days a week, which takes about an hour to an hour and a half each way, and it is just frustrating to deal with someone that lives at the place we practice appear for about an hour of time for practicing and then disappear for 20-ish minutes for a smoke break then come back and talk about how he's tired and doesn't want to play anymore.

To make matters worse outside band shit he's a cool guy and at gigs he always delivers (although he has a sort of improv drum style that can be difficult to play to)..

Anyone have any thoughts on this situation? I really want to go on the road and I've been discussing with the other members about trying to find a fill-in drummer for the trip.

show him this thread.. maybe it will change something
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Find a replacement drummer. NOW.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I can appreciate your frustration with the tour vs. school issue, but you have to consider that separately from the problems at practice.

In my band, scheduling ANY show is difficult. My brother and I (guitars) both get paid vacation at work and have plenty saved up, so we can afford to take time off. The drummer and bassist make minimum wage and count on commissions/tips to live on. Our vocalist just got out of school and is a recording studio intern...making a little money but paying off huge student loans. Before that, we were working around his school schedule. If we didn't do well on merch sales or had a vehicle break down on tour, some of us could recover from the loss, and some probably couldn't. So, it's hard to justify a tour at this point.

In your case, maybe it's time for a discussion about expectations within the band. Are you all at the point where other priorities are conflicting with the band's long-term future? If this is a one-time problem, plan a tour when the drummer isn't in school. If he still has years to go, and will never take time off to tour, then maybe it's time to find someone whose personal goals better match the rest of the band.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone

In your case, maybe it's time for a discussion about expectations within the band. Are you all at the point where other priorities are conflicting with the band's long-term future? If this is a one-time problem, plan a tour when the drummer isn't in school. If he still has years to go, and will never take time off to tour, then maybe it's time to find someone whose personal goals better match the rest of the band.
          Totally agree with this.
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone
            +2
            If you value him as a friend but are unsure of him as a drummer, sit down and lay it all out for him. Don't sound like you are complaining or lecturing him, and let him do most of the talking while you listen. If you come out and be honest and talk about it with him you can hopefully find what's best both for your band and your friendship.

Comment

Working...
            X