The Managers Cut???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Managers Cut???

When a band signs on a manager, what is the normal/standard percentage of earnings to give him? Never had a manager before.

I think the industry standard is 15%, which is supported by this very well put together Wiki page regarding Talent Management:

There's more info here, though it is a UK page and the figures are in pounds, yet good info:

Whether you're a tune-crafting newbie or a would-be mogul, read on for an insider's look into the unsung hero of the music industry—the music manager.

One thing I have to underscore is the IMPORTANCE of a CONTRACT between you and your manager. If you fail to do this simple step, then you are really setting yourselves up to get screwed. At the very minimum, your contract has to clarify what the manager will do for the band, what his/her responsibilities to the band are; in what cases they do or don't earn their 15%. For example, will he get 15% of your merch sales? Or will he get 15% of performance revenue? Don't leave ANYTHING out or a shady manager will figure out a way to screw you! Even if it is a friend (which is a bad idea) who wants to manage your band, you still MUST have a contract.

The contract also helps by setting up things like a trial period. For example, you state in the contract that if your manager doesn't perform the duties agreed to in the contract within 90 days, then the band has the right to cancel the contract. Or vice versa! You may also want to set it for one or two years, depending.

The potential manager might already have a contract drafted, and in either case it is highly recommended that you have a lawyer look it over before you sign it.

Another awesome resource is Tim Sweeney's Guide to Releasing Independent Records. Chock-full of helpful info.

Hope this helps.

~Annah
    Last edited by Annah; 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

thanks annah

Comment

Hey shoot me a PM I'll give you the name of a book written by a music attorney. Its very specific about the business side of music.

Comment

Working...
        X