No announcement yet.

I Voted Today in the California Primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that I agree with any citizen getting away with not speaking English their entire life, but due to the treaty with Mexico when California was handed over, all state documents in California must be in English and Spanish. That treaty pre-dates the recent immigration debate by over 100 years. (at least that is what I learned in high school).

Comment

I'm not surprised that they're teaching that sort of thing in California these days but the relevant treaty is the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which says no such thing. Here's a bit of interesting history on the events leading up to the signing of said treaty. The Cliff's Notes Version: 1) Mexico invaded the United States; 2) We *SERIOUSLY* kicked their ass; 3) After occupying Mexico City we made nice and treated them better than they had any right to expect at that point.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne
        I'm not surprised that they're teaching that sort of thing in California these days but the relevant treaty is the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which says no such thing. Here's a bit of interesting history on the events leading up to the signing of said treaty. The Cliff's Notes Version: 1) Mexico invaded the United States; 2) We *SERIOUSLY* kicked their ass; 3) After occupying Mexico City we made nice and treated them better than they had any right to expect at that point.
        I dub thee "CliffsAnotherOne". That was short and sweet. We know you know "everything" and I know I like the clipped version.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I have opinions on everything fett ... big difference.

But shouldn't every US citizen know American History? At least at the Cliff's Notes level?
          Last edited by YetAnotherOne; 06-07-2006, 08:30 PM.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I have opinions on everything fett ... big difference.
            Cliff's, I beg to differ. You have a very fine grasp of history and the facts to back it up. However, your "papers" don't seem to leave any room for opinion. They come off as the "facts" as you see them. And there is a big differnce between being an historian and an editorialist. I like my beer and I like you.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I never claimed to be a historian (and for that matter never claimed not to be an editorialist). My biases are relatively straightforward: I'm an unabashed fan of western civilization in general and the American spin on it in particular. E.g., Mexico is a failed state because of their culture, the US is successful because of ours. You'll hear no multicultural BS here. LOL

But don't get me wrong, I love a good debate. For example: human-induced global warming is obviously a myth. Does Al Gore know he's lying or is he really just that stupid? Discuss.

Comment

Does Al Gore know he's lying or is he really just that stupid? Discuss.
                Now this is debateable for sure, but whether he is or not, aparently he thinks that his message is worth circling the globe numerous times on private jet, wasting hundreds of thousands of gallons of gas, and creating who knows how much polution so that he can tell us about it!

-a

Comment

Damn good thing he's wrong about the issue then isn't it? Otherwise he'd be a hypocrite too!

Comment

Well, color me educated. I "learned" my "facts" somewhere around 1994.

Comment

Also, wasn't there a 4) US paid Mexico $15 million for the SW territories

?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, though I'd lumped that in with treating them better than they had any right to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                          as you requested, correcting...

the link: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

Like anyone listens to this crock. If you don't want to learn Spanish, you're a racist. If you think people shouldn't jump borders, take your jobs, and not pay taxes, you're a racist.

Everyone is a radical racist oppressing piece of crap.

Bunch of radicals.

Comment

Gracias skorb, I didn't think we were still that sane here.
                            yes, well, it's all well and good to have the requirement, but the problem is that the fucking sissies in our govt don't enforce the requirement.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                            X