Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The computer is dead...long live the computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The computer is dead...long live the computer!

Well, it finally happened...my home PC took a dump the night before last. After talking to a friend about the symptoms, it sounds like it the motherboard fried. It an was an older system that my friend built and used a while. It lasted a pretty good while with me (3-4 yrs) and he didn't charge me too much, so I got my money's worth out of it.

After talking to my friend, it sounded like the easiest thing is to do is get a new system compared to repairing this one, so I ended up getting one of those emachines from Circuit city. You guys can comment on how bad I got screwed on the new one! My friend said the emachines used to suck hard a couple years back, but since Gateway bought them, they're decent machines. I got the T6528 for those keeping score.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

I never gave e-machines a chance. A buddy of mine bought one a several years back and he has working the hell out of it ever since with no problems. He has done a lot of upgrades but the machine has never let him down.
    I hope you have the same luck.
    Scotty
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Mine literally went up in smoke about a week and a half ago,and it wasn't even on!! I just got the new one yesterday(ascend tech),and I have moved into the 21st Century!!
      Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

decent computers for the price, though you can always save money buy building your own.

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
          decent computers for the price, though you can always save money buy building your own.
          That used to be the case a few years ago, but I bought my wife a complete system with a dual core Pentium D 820 CPU and a 250GB SATA HD and 2 GB of ram for under $600. That is brand new with a 3 year warranty, not some refurb POS from Fry's.
          I couldn't build one with the same specs that cheap.
          It came with a bunch of other goodies as well, but ya get the picture.
          -Rick

Comment

I agree, but I don't have the technical know-how to build my own, much less the patience!, especially with troubleshooting. With the last one, since my friend built it, every once in a while some "small problems" would crop up that would take me awhile to figure out. And actually for the past year and a half, the thing would blink and light up like a xmas tree during every startup before Windows would start up, so I figure it was just a matter of time till something snapped.

Tonite I'll work on harvesting my old ram into the new one and getting my stored files from the old harddrives.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I am useing an emachine computer right now. Its about 6 or 7 years old.
              I have had very little trouble with it. The ME operating system is another story.
              I just changed the hard drive and installed XP home and it just keeps on ticking.
              I have another emachine as a back up if this one gives me any trouble.

How is this for a deal on a computer

Super Special #3
              P4 Socket 775 805 Dual Core 2.66GHz Retail Box w/Fan (800 Bus/2X1MB) 512MB DDR 400 MHz PC3200 Prestige Motherboard suppor Intel Dual Core CPUs 3D Video with 64MB shared Memory 160 GB UDMA100 7200 rpm 8MB buffer 56K V.92 Voice Fax Modem 16X DVD±R/RW Dual Layer BURNER 3D 32 Bit Sound ON BOARD 1.44 MB Floppy Drive ATX Tower Case /300W PS(90 Days warranty) PS2 keyboard PS2 Net Mouse w/Scrolling whell 140W(P.M.P.O) Speakers (Pair w/power amplifier) 10/100 Fast Lan

I can get this and others around this price all day. Just add operating system.

Comment

I have an eMachines also. It's a W2686. It has seen some significant upgrades because I had a power supply take out the motherboard back in January. I repaired and upgraded it myself.

I've had it for around three years, and for a cheap PC it has served me well.

Comment

emachines?

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1195.html

I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole... sorry.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by FATKAT
                    I am useing an emachine computer right now. Its about 6 or 7 years old.
                    I have had very little trouble with it. The ME operating system is another story.
                    I just changed the hard drive and installed XP home and it just keeps on ticking.
                    I have another emachine as a back up if this one gives me any trouble.

How is this for a deal on a computer

Super Special #3
                    P4 Socket 775 805 Dual Core 2.66GHz Retail Box w/Fan (800 Bus/2X1MB) 512MB DDR 400 MHz PC3200 Prestige Motherboard suppor Intel Dual Core CPUs 3D Video with 64MB shared Memory 160 GB UDMA100 7200 rpm 8MB buffer 56K V.92 Voice Fax Modem 16X DVD±R/RW Dual Layer BURNER 3D 32 Bit Sound ON BOARD 1.44 MB Floppy Drive ATX Tower Case /300W PS(90 Days warranty) PS2 keyboard PS2 Net Mouse w/Scrolling whell 140W(P.M.P.O) Speakers (Pair w/power amplifier) 10/100 Fast Lan

I can get this and others around this price all day. Just add operating system.
                    For $100.00 more you can get a Dell with better specs, Windows XP and a 17" flat screen monitor and free shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                      For $100.00 more you can get a Dell with better specs, Windows XP and a 17" flat screen monitor and free shipping.
                      +1
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                        That used to be the case a few years ago, but I bought my wife a complete system with a dual core Pentium D 820 CPU and a 250GB SATA HD and 2 GB of ram for under $600. That is brand new with a 3 year warranty, not some refurb POS from Fry's.
                        I couldn't build one with the same specs that cheap.
                        It came with a bunch of other goodies as well, but ya get the picture.
                        thats a great deal for a complete system (monitor included?) but It can probably be done. here are some prices that i scrounged up from newegg.

$170.99 for the Pentium D 820
                        $89.99 for the 250GB Sata drive
                        $190.50 for the 2 Gigs of OCZ ddr ram

throw in some cheapo power supply, case and mobo and you're probably stretching it but i think you can do it!

Comment

thats a great deal for a complete system (monitor included?) but It can probably be done. here are some prices that i scrounged up from newegg.

$170.99 for the Pentium D 820
                          $89.99 for the 250GB Sata drive
                          $190.50 for the 2 Gigs of OCZ ddr ram

throw in some cheapo power supply, case and mobo and you're probably stretching it but i think you can do it!
                          It was a great deal, and I did price out building it from quality parts and this was way cheaper by almost $300.
                          -Rick

Comment

"decent computers for the price, though you can always save money buy building your own."

That only applies to high end rigs. When it comes to low cost budget models, you can't beat Dell at this game.
                            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury
                              When it comes to low cost budget models, you can't beat Dell at this game.
                              +1 here in Denmark as well. I used to custom build PC's for my customers, but seeing Dell's low budget machines made me stop that. There's no point in using 3-4 hours in spec'in out, picking up, driving home and assemble the damn homebuild thing.
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                              X