Might take a job in Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might take a job in Cleveland

Good idea? Bad idea? I'd have to commute from Cinci, stay there (details not worked out on how much I can work from home), then drive back. I'll be working in Westlake.

I drove up there Memorial day, but didn't spend any time looking around an drove back the next day after the job interviews.

Tell me the good, the bad, the ugly, LOL!

Thanks,

Don

You can race Bill in his Cobra
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing
      You can race Bill in his Cobra
      You mean get my ass kicked by Bill in his Cobra LOL!

Comment

Although some businesses are doing good, this place is economically trashed. My transmission business is barely keeping the doors open and I'm begging for a stable job with the city...

Westlake is a nice and safe suburb and there is some money there. It's a couple miles west from my place which is not a nice and safe place. My friend has a prospering Dental Surgery practice there.

I live almost downtown and can walk to Jacobs/Quiken Field.

Cleveland itself, sucks ass IMO... But some good things about it I guess...

Feel free to ask anything you wish.

If the money is worth commuting so far, Westlake is cool. Nice area there called Crocker Basset Park or Commons or something like that is a cool place, lotsa tail there and shopping/restuarants. All in one area, everything ya need. Could live there..

Lemme know if they're hiring! haha...

Comment

The situation is my ex-boss quit my current company (which is going under). and took a job as CIO. His boss is the ex-CFO of my current company (small world, huh?).

The place here in Cinci is great to work at, but the writing is on the walls, sales are tanking (over 50% in four years), the good people have all jumped ship and found new jobs, and the crappy people are left. The upper management are morons without a clue as what to do/how to generate sales.

I have a family with three kids (6, 9, 11) so travel/away from home is not ideal, but my ex-boss knows how much I want and has taken care of me in the past. I'm hoping I can "work from home" a few days a week. My neighbor commutes to Akron 3 days, and works from home 2 days a week. I can't really relocate because I bought my house in September. We'd take a huge hit if we moved.

Without trying to be a braggard, I'm the best AS/400 JDE Programmer I have met, and I was very successful consulting in the 90's. As such, I'm highly paid for my profession, so if I took a local job without my ex-boss pulling for me I'm looking at a 15% - 25% pay cut. Maybe even more. I'm in one of those jobs that got "outsourced to India" so it's hard finding a job in this profession, and JDE is a dying ERP system having been bought out by PeopleSoft and then Oracle.

Comment

Well, if ya do it, you'll have a friend up this way at least.

Not such a bad place really. Summer is cool here, nice on the lake etc. And the clubs out by where ya work are cool.

I'm just disgruntled at the economic climate for my work area... Time to make a career change here for me...

Comment

The commute from Cleveland to Cinci would be BRUTAL..approx 4 hours one way..

Cleveland is a urban city..there is "pockets" to reside on the far west side..like where I live in "copland". The rest of the city is pretty fucked!

If you can secure a really good paying job that you know will be secure..go for it..there is plenty of nice surrounding suburbs just outside the City borders..

Hint.."stay west".

There is some nice things about Cleveland..lots of entertainment and stuff..we have a nice zoo and amusements parks close by..lots of shows come thru here..more than I can handle.

I'm looking to buy a newer home in Brunswick OH. I WILL miss my awesome old, gothic tudor home here in cleveland..I know that much..but I may as well sell my property while I can....sigh. I should have no prob selling my place, it's a targeted market for city employess and it's truly a one of a kind home.

Brunswick, Medina, Avon is just of some of several areas here that is very nice.

Our I dentist bud lives in Avon..it's very nice there, a nice house there will go between 230-300K..depending on what you want...I'm shopping as we speak.

BTW..My crazy Bubmblebee, John and I took it out last week..I let him drive....sweet.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX

That's should be the official city slogan..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Although a lot of people seem to think different about this place and think lot of the area, if I didn't have a family thing here, or if do you have a job thing here (mines' pretty fubar), I'd likely be outta here.

Yeah, some cool stuff. But I think I'd rather be elsewhere. Been here awhile and not much reason to stay as far as that stuff goes.

I do sorta like the seasons etc. Pretty comfortable, although winter gets a bit harsh, not as bad of a winter as some other coveted towns.

Comment

"I do sorta like the seasons etc. Pretty comfortable, although winter gets a bit harsh, not as bad of a winter as some other coveted towns."

YEAH, we didn't even have a Winter this year..last year was a record breaker for the most snow..this year was also a record breaker for the least amount of snow...

I only used my brand new sno-blower 4 times..the first time I used it just so I could play with the damn thing..

The fall is awesome here!!

Comment

Hey guys,

My ex-boss wants me to decide pretty soon (he made the offer to me on Monday 6/26). He had to fight a hiring freeze (he'll even have to fire someone there to make room for me) to get approval to hire me. If I don't take the job, he'll find someone else.

I don't like the idea of traveling (I'll be doing frequent flights to Sweden, Nashville, maybe Brazil and Singapore). It will suck because I have three kids, 11, 9 and 6, but if I stay at my current job, I don't know how much longer they will be in business. Or, they might look to chop heads and I would be the first to go because I cost more than anyone else (but I also know more and do more than anyone else).

If I do stay, and don't take the job in Cleveland, when my current job does end, I'll be looking at local jobs paying 30% less than what my ex-boss is offering and what I'm making now.

It sucks, but it looks like I have no other choice than to take the job in Cleveland.

Comment

Well... At least we're not under water...

Yet...

Comment

Is starting your own consulting business a possibility? Maybe this guy could be your first client.

Comment

Working...
                              X