Wide Screen Monitors.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide Screen Monitors.........

Can someone please explain the benefits of a wide sreen monitor as compared to the standard size screens? I'm thinking of getting a new LCD monitor and I'd like to hear some non-biased feedback on the pros and cons of these.

I'm not using it for movies or anything but there is some gaming that is used on this PC. I'm probably going with a 19" but the widescreen 19" actually has a smaller amount of "real estate, correct? I'm also going to be plugging it into a svga not dvi so are there any special considerations to take note of?

help?
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Once you go widescreen you'll never go black. Or something like that. I have the Dell 24" Widescreen and it was the best investment. I like it better than running dual monitors.

One of the reasons I like it is that I can have two applications open and they don't overlap each other. I'll have a web broswer open on one side and I'll be editing HTML in another window next to it. Very easy to see your changes and still see both apps open. Much easier way to work. If you use and recording software you can see more of your timeline at once. A great benefit.

I would look at a 20" at least if your going widescreen. One thing you want to watch out for is your vertical resolution. On some models you may be sacrificing height compared to your existing monitor. I bought the 24 as it gives me both height and width.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Yep, awesome for running multiple windows or apps at once, and you don't need two video outs to do it (like when you run two monitors). The SVGA plug will work fine.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i have a 19" wide and what i have noticed is girls look bustier.
        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL
          i have a 19" wide and what i have noticed is girls look bustier.
          :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

20" Dell 2005fpw here. Best computer investment i made in a long time. more screen 'real estate', DVDs are barely cropped at all to fit in full screen, and video games in widescreen mode = WOW.

Comment

I see no one here mention the resolution of their 20" or 24" monitors.... you're leaving out the most important thing. A 24" running at a fixed 1600 x 1200 resolution won't give you more desktop space than a 15" running at the same resolution (1600 x 1200).

You guys probably already knew that, but i'm just making sure you do I'm very disappointed that the larger monitors don't give you higher resolutions than we see today.

The huge Dell 24" (2407WFP) only runs 1920 x 1200! I run 1600 x 1200 at my 15" laptop screen. Almost no difference in available desktop space. I'm sitting close to my screen, if i had a 24" i would sit further back. The 24" should have something like 3000 x 2000 to see a real improvement in available space.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

widescreen is better for recording - you get to see more of your tracks width-wise
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                  widescreen is better for recording - you get to see more of your tracks width-wise
                  +1, if you do any sort of audio or video editing, you will get more bang for one monitor. I have a 24" Widescreen dell monitor at home. It is really nice to be able to have more applications in sight rather then alt+tabbing all the time. Shit, if I had the scratch, I would go buy one of the new 30" ones =)

-Nate
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

thank you very much for the info, fellas, it is much appreciated -
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I don't like them for gaming. Everything ends up out of proportion unless the game can work specifically in a widescreen resolution. We have some of the 24" Dells here and they make StarCraft look like shit

Comment

Starcraft is so 20th Century.
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

my 2005fpw runs @ 1680x1050.

Gaming:
                          CS:S, Guild Wars = amazing.

Starcraft... just set it to scale..

I have widescreen @ home, and a nice 17" LCD at work... .. i cant stand it @ work..

Comment

The only thing I have against LCD screens is the lack of color and vibrancy. I use high end NEC's units at work. I have tried every adjustment necessary.....every time I look at it, it gives me the impression that I am looking through a screen door with that "gray haze". I have seen some fairly expensive units that have decent color, but, for the price, I will stick with my 19" flat CRT HP.
                            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I prefer using a dual monitor setup. I have 2 17" LCDs side by side.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                              X