No announcement yet.

need advice on computer buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, most college universities are selling Mac laptops very well.
    Mac is huge at most bigger name campus'
    My daughter goes to IU and Mac's have a loyal big following there.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

if you're going to get a laptop, i'd recommend a pro over a macbook if you can swing it. i got a refurb'ed and warranteed 15.4" macbook pro from the apple site. i bought a 1gb stick of ram and it screams. saving a few hundred off of the price isn't bad either.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Free was the best waythough right sullster-lol
        I never did get you memory did I? I forgot, but there were others who scored,
        i have the fed ex waybills, yowza, 3 thankyous out of 9-lol
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Screw the MAC. Software is harder to find, most games won't ever port the to MAC... And servicing one is more expensive.

Originally posted by illumina
          Being a computer nerd...

www.velocitymicro.com
          www.maingear.com
          +1 looks like two solid companies...

OR...

Wait for a Dell Coupon code at:
          www.resellerratings.com

Right now they have a $350 off Dimension desktops over $1049, and 30% or $750 off selected notebooks... Sign up for their mailer, as they send out a regular mailer with the latest deals... You can save a considerable amount off of their regular prices, and these coupon codes are generally a lot better than the "specials" they have on the dell site.

A while back.. but it probably wont happen again, they had a 40% off all XPS desktops. I didn't have enough money at the time, but you could save over $1500 on one of their high end systems.

If you're going to buy Dell, definitely wait till you find a coupon code that suits you.
          Last edited by xenophobe; 07-12-2006, 01:28 PM.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe
            Screw the MAC. Software is harder to find, most games won't ever port the to MAC... And servicing one is more expensive.
            as far as the porting stuff goes, that's where windows can step in. haven't had to service the two that i've had, but that's not to say they're perfect. :ROTF: thankfully, they're a bit more stable.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had a roomate that looked just like the Dell dude when I was in college. We call him "Dell Jeff". The resemblance was uncanny I tells ya! For that reason alone, I am buying a Dell...

Seriously though the Dell XPS's look pretty good. I am not sure how much more gaming I will be doing outside of the occasional ROM and my wife's addiction to the Sims. I will keep looking around. I know I've had good experiences with Gateway and Dell and poor experiences with HP.

Any other ideas?
              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                as far as the porting stuff goes, that's where windows can step in. haven't had to service the two that i've had, but that's not to say they're perfect. :ROTF: thankfully, they're a bit more stable.
                Yes, but when you have a problem with Mac OS, it's way more difficult to deal with than an XP problem...
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Also....

www.gottadeal.com

they post the dell coupons as well..

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe
                    Yes, but when you have a problem with Mac OS, it's way more difficult to deal with than an XP problem...
                    hm. well, all i can attest to is my own personal experience. i've had zero software issues whatsoever, and i've been through 2 osx versions so far (panther and tiger, and i look forward to leopard, which should be out in a few months.)

anyway, whatev. gold moon soloist, i hope that whatever purchase you make serves you well!

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                    X