p-90's for rock and metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p-90's for rock and metal?

Anyone ever use a guitar with p90-s for rock and metal?
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

yeah. i often play a USA hamer special with duncan P-90's in it. sounds HUGE, but buzzes like a bee because they are single coil pick ups. get a really good noise reduction unit if you play with a lot of distortion. i use a BOSS pedal on the floor and a HUSH in my rack. i need BOTH to keep that guitar under control when i play it one stage. but the sound is worth it.

BTW - i play hard rock like the scorpions and iron maiden, not so much METAL!!! certainly NOT death or thrash metal.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Gibson has P-100s that are supposed to be less noisy in the same form factor.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

My 1963 SG Special works great for Kill 'em All (Metallica). Think Seek N Destroy.

Comment

I love my Gibson with the P90 pickups for the stuff I play, however, my other guitar player has the Les Paul Special with the P100s and I dont think theyre quite the same sound at all...theyre more like a mini-hum type sound to me.

Comment

Also, wasn't the latest Green Day done with P90's? Don't know if that counts for rock or metal, though.

Comment

Yes...Rio-Grande's sound KILLER!

Comment

EMG makes 81 and 85`s in the P90 size and Damarzio makes P90 sized Humbuckers. P90`s have alot of choices for tone now. Jack.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm buying an old lespaul with duncan p90's. I'll give them a go and if I don't like them try some others. I have a rio grande bbq bucker in my carvin v that I really like.
                  "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

SweetBird~

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty
                      Thanks everyone. I'm buying an old lespaul with duncan p90's. I'll give them a go and if I don't like them try some others. I have a rio grande bbq bucker in my carvin v that I really like.
                      Dude, the Rio BBQ in the bridge is smokin!! One of the best passives for heavy palm muting that I know of, crunch to spare Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic
                        Yes...Rio-Grande's sound KILLER!
                        That guitar is absolutely sick. SICK.

And to answer the question, yeah, I think P-90's can do metal. I have a '63 SG Junior that sounds way, way huge. It works extremely well under massive gain - in some ways P-90s sound bigger than humbuckers.

I recorded a song a little while ago that's about 80% metal and used the Junior for the whole thing. If anybody is interested I'll post the clip in the appropriate section.

Comment

Please post the clip.

thx

Originally posted by Adam
                          That guitar is absolutely sick. SICK.

And to answer the question, yeah, I think P-90's can do metal. I have a '63 SG Junior that sounds way, way huge. It works extremely well under massive gain - in some ways P-90s sound bigger than humbuckers.

I recorded a song a little while ago that's about 80% metal and used the Junior for the whole thing. If anybody is interested I'll post the clip in the appropriate section.

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty
                            Please post the clip.

thx
                            Here you go.

I have to apologize for the sloppy playing, but I was pretty happy with the heaviness-capability of a P-90 after I did it.

Comment

tony iommi created heavy metal with p-90's
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X