Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RIGHT way to Honor your Dad...

Ron…Proof this for me please. J/K

Luckily I had other plaques in stock. So I decided to go bigger & better. My Dad wasn’t a flashy guy, so originally I thought I would keep it simple. But, due to a brain fart, (and rushing to get it done) I wasted a good piece of walnut. (see the other thread)

I like this one better anyway. I wanted the two plaques to match, so I have one more to re-do tonight. Thanks again to those of you who gave me a heads up on the spelling error. It replaced an embarrassing moment with...well, an embarrassing moment.

>>--HuntinDoug-->

Doug, your dad would have been proud either way man..

I like both plaques equally..

Your love and pride outweighs ANY silly little glitch..

I think..

Bill
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Looks good!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nice work. Fixing the glitch it a way cool sign of class and respect.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Doug, that looks very classy, not flashy and it's a classy act, that you're doing the plaques. Good job.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Well, we certainly know Doug is meticulous when it comes to his work..that's NO secret..

Man, I wished I had that talent..I'd go NUTS on my guitars!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd put years of service on there....like 1989 - 2003 or something...
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks guys....! This gives you an idea of why I felt it was important to mention his integrity. My Dad competed in trap, and pistol shooting all through his career. He was quite good. He had trophies stashed all over the house. When he died, the only thing I requested was this trophy. When I delivered his eulogy, I used it as an example of how he lived his life.

In 1971, he competed in the annual Montgomery County trap shoot. A fairly large event consisting of mainly cops. There are 3 classes…A,B&C. The amount of clay birds hit determined your “class placement”, and ranking in that class. Each class had a “high gun” (first place), down to “low gun” (last place in the class). First place trophy in all 3 classes was about 2 feet tall. Last place was a horses ass…. Literally.

He always kept score in his head. At the last round of the competition, he knew if he laid off the last bird, he would place as “high gun” in class B (insuring a big trophy). Instead, of backing off, he took the bird, which kept him in class A as the low gun. Out of all the trophies he had, this is the only one that sat on his mantle. Now it sits on mine.

He operated that way in everything he did.

>>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Doug That's awesome..I didn't learn how to shoot from the Police Academy . My father took me shooting way before that, and we used to go shooting every weekend at the indoor range. He taught me how to re-load and showed me everything I needed to know. Then my dad took me to Pin Shoorting (Bowling pins) and got me into that, it was a great connection that we had, Then I became a cop, and once you carry a pistol 24/7 it just took a lot of "fun" out of shooting for me.

I would like to rekindle that connection with my dad, since I had to retire..but his knees are really bad now and can't walk that well.

He's the best shot I know..being a cop I got to know quite a few in a large department...he'd smoke 'em all, and he passed that to me, I'm a GREAT shot because of him..which saved my ass during a shootout , we exchanged over 90 rounds in the pouring rain at 1:00AM, in March of '93 when my wife was pregnant with my only son..I may not be here if it wern't for that skill that my father had given me.

well, I'm rambling now.

But ,I know the love and the priviledge to be raised by a great man..I would have been a total fuck up without his guidance, and he doesn't know how much I love, need and appreciate him..I think he knows.

You should be proud , your dad kicked ass and was a proud man and father as he should be. I never met him..but I respect him!

This is a AWESOME tribute..

I want you to know, that this really touches me, in fact..my eyes are welling up..seriously

Take care man..

Doug, I have a new found respect for you, aside from your amazing talents..

Respectfully,

PO William Zurlo #2349...Cleveland Police Department ..Jan '92 to Nov '04..now retired on a disabilty.

Your father and I were both members of the OP&F and FOP..I would assume, in fact his name Carl West is ringing a bell.
                  Last edited by horns666; 07-15-2006, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Bill,
                    Thanks Sir. Safe to say we don't see "eye to eye" on some things...but that's OK. Other things I guess we are more alike on than I realized...that's OK too. I have all of my Dads reloading stuff: a couple MEC 650's (12GA), a Lyman Tri-press, scale, powder measure. I have dies for 30-06, 357/.38 special, & others. I also have the S&W stub nose .38 special that he carried for years, and a rare Colt .38 "Officer's Model Match" that he loved to shoot in competition. My brother has the Remington 1100 12GA he used for trap competition.

I re-loaded for a few years, but after my daughter was born, I didnt have time to load, or shoot. I miss it. I still have ammo that he loaded several years ago.

Give your Dad a call Bill. Take him out, buy him dinner. Sit and talk with him...Learn everything you can about his life experience, it may come in handy some day. I still draw on my Dads wisdom. I suppose I will for the rest of my life. My Dad lived 8 hours away. When I found out he was sick, I found a way to get to his house at least every other weekend...That still wasnt enough for me.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Ok, I’m satisfied…Now they match:

>>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Thanks Doug, if we had differences in the past, I can't recall a one...unless you remind me..but that's OK.

I had differences in the past before with a few guys here, one was Hippetim, and we're cool as hell now..I can't recall those either...and I don't want to...it was prolly political..

I am a very outspoken guy..I can see that rubbin' on folks. That's just my nature, my Dad's too..so it's his fault..it's in the DNA.

Bustin' hump in the hood didn't help matters much.. having to retire really bothers me, I loved my job..I guess you could call me "bitter"..I know I have my moments..

But, anywhoo..I'll remember THIS and since I will, I'll always keep this in mind whenever we speak. I guess you can say we got to know each other a little more. If we ever met, I'm certain it would be very good.

My Dad and I touch base at least once a day..and we go to lunch on occasion..we are very very close..

You and your dad are in my thoughts..

BTW..I showed my wife and my son your plaques, and your tribute posts...of course they thought is was beautiful.

Take care man,

Bill

Comment

Doug, those came out beautiful. What a way to honor your dad and his wife. Just awesome.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

nicely done...its a great gesture and remembrance of what they stood for.

Comment

Working...
                            X