Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was offered an audition with a modern rock cover band...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Child Of Norther
    You, my friend! Are just like me!

That's what i did!

My main abnd Battleheart started as a two piece, we ecorded as a 2 piece in april and we'd acheived more than 1.5k downloads in a month of it and now gig with crowds knowing all the words!

We couldn't find anyone so we did the demo the two of us and then got new members on the strength of the demo!

That is the best way to do it!

(Also stops new people coming in and trying to change your sound )
    It worked really well for me. I just went around and stole band members from other bands with it. Luckily the singer came first, and the project came together with he and I pretty much equally sharing the vision. His singing on the demos went a long way to enticing other musicians to quit their current projects and come to the dark side.

I'm glad to hear you pulled the same stunt! It does indeed stop other people from coming in and trying to change your sound - they're too busy learning songs!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
      It worked really well for me. I just went around and stole band members from other bands with it. Luckily the singer came first, and the project came together with he and I pretty much equally sharing the vision. His singing on the demos went a long way to enticing other musicians to quit their current projects and come to the dark side.

I'm glad to hear you pulled the same stunt! It does indeed stop other people from coming in and trying to change your sound - they're too busy learning songs!
      Hahahaha, exactly!

Comment

Yeah, I guess it was for the best because I would be "selling out" a bit. The lure of getting $$$ and actually playing for decent crowds is very appealing I have to admit.

The original scene is dead here in Detroit. Most of the guys that were in popular local bands back in the 80's are doing the cover thing. Only Seduce and Halloween are still at it. Most of the cool clubs that do the original thing have closed down as well. It's kinda depressing...

Comment

Seduce? weren't they in DCOWC the metal years?

As far as the cover thing... I play in an 80s cover band right now, w/ bigd from this board. Ive never seen the problem with it. I get good money, we play great gigs (last one was in front of 7,000+), drink free, and best of all, get paid to shred on guitar for 3 hours a night. The women aspect isn't half bad either (tho I dont partake anymore, GF of 7 yrs now haha).
          Last edited by clifffclaven; 07-18-2006, 04:59 PM.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

my question is, what the deuce is Pirate metal???

Comment

That's the thing Cliff... you're doing 80's covers. That I could dig. There are some good tunes that came out in the 90's Nirvana/STP/Pearl Jam/AIC etc... era, but alot of it is kinda lame. The sad thing is, most "normal" (non guitar players ) seem to like it.

Yep, Seduce was in "Decline". They still play every once in a while, for small crowds... It's crazy. They are a good band! I guess everyone feels they sound "dated"... Ah, whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell
                That's the thing Cliff... you're doing 80's covers. That I could dig. There are some good tunes that came out in the 90's Nirvana/STP/Pearl Jam/AIC etc... era, but alot of it is kinda lame. The sad thing is, most "normal" (non guitar players ) seem to like it.
                oh come on, dude. That Third Eye Blind song, Semi-toned Kinda Crap was AWESOME!!! "Doo doo doo, doo dadoo doo, doo doo doo, doo dadoo doo". Tell me you don't love that!

And who doesn't love Hootie? They were on Friends, man!!
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Well..... I guess I'm coming at it from a different place. The 80's thing was already passe when I first started playing (around '93-'94) so there might be a bit of a generation gap in terms of the "originals" we're talking about. The stuff I'm doing is aimed more at the college-age crowd.

Edit: That's not meant as a shot - a lot of great music came out of the '80s, it's just not what I was thinking when I brought up writing your own songs. Certainly nothing wrong with that kind of music, even today.

Comment

Hahaha! No problem dude.

Comment

Working...
                    X