I rescued a Hawk today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I rescued a Hawk today!

This guy flew right into our car today, and I thought he was surely dead. I went back and found him, and he only had a broken wing. I was finally able to catch him, and brought him home. I doctered his wing with some antibiotics to hopefully prevent any infection, and cleaned him up a little. He's kind of a young one, and deserves medical attention. I finally got in touch with a friend of mine who works for the water patrol, and he put me in touch with a Raptor rehab facility about 35 miles from here. I'm taking him up there in the morning and placing him in their care. I can't even put into words how cool it's been to get to know this little dude....they are very majestic animals. Here's a pic! My mother-in-law is holding my youngest daughter. She was absolutely awestruck! I think my oldest daughter learned a lot about these animals today too. These guys are a very important part of our eco system.

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Awesome
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

That is totally cool, Mark!

That will be something to remember forever.

- Eric
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Poor little feller...
        If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Mark, this web page would surely dim a little without your contributions. I'm sure he will be flying again, soon.

Comment

Way cool!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hawks are awesome birds. I saw one fly in between my house and the field last week with a filed mouse in his claws!!!! Great save man! Maybe now you reached you goal of being the kind person that your dog thinks you are
              Last edited by quakana; 07-23-2006, 07:51 PM.

Comment

You're a good man, Mark, I don't care what anyone says aboutcha!
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

birds of prey are a passion of mine.

very cool of you to take it to a rescue center.
                  Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                  Amp... Pioneer
                  Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

He looks like he accepts humans Ok they love companionship a friend of mine has several that light on his porch.He feeds them raw deer meat once a week or so.
                    You did a good thing Mark.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

We were given a hawk when I was a kid, It had an injured wing also. We put it on a perch in the corner of the room and nursed it back to health, then we let it go, gives you a great sense of satisfaction.
                      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Very cool, I hope he makes it. I have owls at my house. Another very cool bird of prey. I had a couple fall out of the nest a few years back and tried to feed them myself but they didn't make it. Here is a pic of a young that for some reason didn't make it back to its nest before sun rise.

Just one more guitar!

Comment

I love raptors.. unfortunately we had an issue here recently where the great horned owls (only natural predator of ospreys) kiled a few (mom and 3 chicks). They only eat the heads...

Comment

That is a cool pic Scotty!

I'll tell ya, I'm surprised at the way this thread turned out. I really figured a lot of folks would be giving me shit for caring about an animal like this. (I'm no "tree hugger' or anything!) These animals are sooooo awesome! What they do is very cool too. If it weren't for the raptors such as this guy, the world would probably be overpopulated with rats and other disease carrying "vermin". These guys absolutely rock. Plus, yeah, they really don't seem to feel threatened by humans. I'll admit, he was very reluctant at first (and he clawed the shit outa me because I didn't have any gloves in the car!), but after just a little handling, he was calm cool and collected. I'm keeping him in a covered "pet taxi" tonight, and I checked on him a few minutes ago. I reached in and got him out....he was still calm, almost as if he knows me now. It just cool beyond all coolness.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty

This picture has "What the fuck you looking at?" written all over it.

BTW Mark, that was really cool of you to take care of that animal. I remember when I was young and at my grandfathers, a baby hawk somehow fell down the chimney and into the house. We had the screen infront of the fireplace so, we got a towel and did a minature catch and release on him. Fantastic looking birds, but they can seriously mess you up.

-Nate
                              Last edited by nateb; 07-23-2006, 09:39 PM.
                              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                              X