Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam
    maybe it's because the album was produced by Josh Abraham this time
    You think Josh's good work with Limp Bizkit & Crazytown was all preparation for the latest Slayer album?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Could be. LOL At least it sounds a lot better than LB or Crazytown ever did! He did a damn fine job on the Velvet Revolver album, too.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good album. I love GHUA.. this is good too.

My only complaint is the fact that is only 38 minutes.. They had many year to come up with new songs.. the album should've been at least one hour. That goes for every album imo.
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

after owning it for almost 1 month, i think this is the best record they've done since reign in blood. there are a few fillers in there (2 to be precise), but most of the stuff kicks ass. sure, it's definitely not groundbreaking, the first 2 songs sound *very* similar -especially the choruses- but it's still fun to listen to. this is classic slayer at its best imho....a pity the album is only 40 minutes long...but well, reign in blood was even shorter
          now if they started playing decent leads instead of that wanking garbage they would be my alltime fave band

Comment

I dig it. Best thing they've done since...well, since the last Lombardo album.
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Flesh Storm, Cult and Skeleton Christ do it for me..

King does the best writing in that camp IMO..he don't beat around the bush..he gets right to the point!!

He's like ..I don't care..fuggit!!

I love that!!

BTW..That's King doing most of Jeff's parts on the album..Jeff just plays it live.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm really not digging this album at all. I bought it and LOG Sacrament on the same day and after one spin Slayer has been put away, while Lamb Of God continues to kick my ass.

I think God Hates Us All is a much better album.
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B
                  I'm really not digging this album at all. I bought it and LOG Sacrament on the same day and after one spin Slayer has been put away, while Lamb Of God continues to kick my ass.

I think God Hates Us All is a much better album.
                  Yeah Jimmy LOG is just more polished and complex..I like it..

Theu picked up the Slayer ball and ran with it..also ifluenced by the swedish thrash genre..they took it to a cool level..

But I still love Slayer..my wife and kid (Vinny loves Lombardo) ..don't like this one too much..Tom's vox basically..they think it's "too noisy"

but Dude in LOG has ONE voice as well..so..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Testament and Slayer fucked... LOG is their baby!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

"Testament and Slayer fucked... LOG is their baby! "

seems like i got to check them out after all other than the intro of 11th hour i've never heared anything LOG.

as for slayer, kerry has been playing all the rhythm parts in the studio for quite some time now. jeff's only doing leads and obviously the live stuff - although i'm still unsure whether kerry is also tracking jeff's songs or not.

i really liked the production of GHUA. the lead sound on the new one is better, and the rhythm sounds also fit the more oldschool music better than the GHUA sounds, but i liked the idea of having 2 different guitar tones panned left/right, kinda like judas priest.

one thing though....they've got to stop tuning down to Bb!! for GHUA it worked out at times (payback is one kickass thrash song, and here comes the pain also rocks quite hard), but with the more oldschool vibe of the new record the low tuning doesn't really fit in...it works for catatonic, but e.g. the 3rd song (forgot the title) is a perfect example of kerry king going into chugga chugga mode....no, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                        Testament and Slayer fucked... LOG is their baby!
                        +1

Slayer has lots of babies.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                          +1

Slayer has lots of babies.
                          +2

I'd say that LOG is ..Slayer's and At The Gates love baby..

The New Wave Of Swedish Death Trash..ala At the Gates made a lot of babies too..including LOG.

King did alot of Jeff's solos on CI..you could easily hear Kerry doing alot of Jeff's lead and rythm parts..

King reported it's easier to get the solos to "sync" better that way.. makes sense.

Comment

I heard it, didn't really think it was even worth a second listen, let alone a purchase. For now-a-days thrash, you have to turn to Germany or underground metal. Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction have all released excellent albums in the past couple years. Also, Schmier can ACTUALLY pull off his vocals live, including the high pitched screams. Municipal Waste, Funerot, and Avenger of Blood are three good lesser known USA bands that are still thrashing.

Comment

"Also, Schmier can ACTUALLY pull off his vocals live, including the high pitched screams."

which is not too difficult because he has a very high pitched speaking voice to begin with it's pretty funny to watch him talk, he's like 6'3 or something and talks like a baby. the music rocks though, and that's all that matters

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
                                "Also, Schmier can ACTUALLY pull off his vocals live, including the high pitched screams."

which is not too difficult because he has a very high pitched speaking voice to begin with it's pretty funny to watch him talk, he's like 6'3 or something and talks like a baby. the music rocks though, and that's all that matters
                                Definitely. They're probably one of my all time favorite live performances. They absolutely crushed. I did think it was kind of funny that he had 3 mics up front and he'd just do one line and walk to the next one. Kataklysm sucked balls compared to them. It was a joke listening to their set compared to the awesomeness of Destruction. I'd say a good 1/3 of the crowd left right after Destruction finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X