Short scale guitars that don't suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short scale guitars that don't suck.

So it happened last month: my son asked if he could put "electric guitar" on his Christmas list. So we did.

But I can't imagine giving him a crappy toy. I've never played a veewee or a mini strat, but I'm just taking a wild guess that they aren't so hot.

Anybody know of a short scale guitar that doesn't suck? Am I wrong to assume the epi and mini strat will? I don't want the worlds best guitar, just something that isn't so awful that he gets frustrated from trying just because it is a P.O.S.

As always, comments tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Buy whatever short scale you decide on from a music store that does complete setups on their new instruments... getting something like that from a 'bargain barn' like GC is just asking for it. most of the drones at GC are lucky to change strings without poking their eyes out.

Pete

Comment

Keith, email me.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Wow Pete! This is kinda like a parallel universe huh!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

If you don't mind going used check out a Nightswan or one of the original Vandenbergs. Both of those are not only short scale but have downright dainty feeling necks that would be well-suited for a younger player.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Peavey Patriot. 23.4 or something as such scale. Fender made a bunch.. Musicmaster, Mustang. Some old J series Squires were also short scale.
            Last edited by charvelguy; 08-08-2006, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Get him one of those japanese law suit Les Paul or a PRS SE . They are pretty decently priced and doesn't suck most of the time.

Comment

Dean BABY Dean from Hell!!!

Comment

Fender Duo-Sonic?

Comment

+1 on the fender mustang and/or musicmaster - very cool guitars

fender also does a junior strat made in mexico that is similar to the $99 squier but it doesn't suck. i had one for a while - it was a blast.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0133800506
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Short scale + Not suck = Jackson Fusion or late 80s Charvel fusion

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                        +1000

I have three.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                          Peavey Patriot. 23.4 or something as such scale. Fender made a bunch.. Musicmaster, Mustang. Some old J series Squires were also short scale.
                          actually the patriot is 23 fret, 24.75 scale, the T-15
                          is the really short scale model, it is
                          like 23.5 or something right around that, and they are great starter guitars for kids
                          Last edited by FusionFarmer; 08-08-2006, 08:57 AM.
                          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Korean made Hamers(not the newer China ones) The new Tokai Korean LP`s are decent, EPI Elites, Edwards, Dean Selects. Many good choices. I myself am finding I prefer the short scale and nead a Tunamatic short scale something soon. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                              those would suck for a child's hands. those necks are too wide.

for kids, i've found that the scale length doesn't matter much for open chords and stuff. it's the neck thickness and width and the body size that matters most.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X