Words from Kam Lee about the current state of metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson
    There will always be people who don't know/care to learn what category of metal Nevermore fits into. Just have to deal with it
    I like Nevermore, but I couldn't tell you what genre of metal they fit into, to be honest. To be more honest, I probably could not really tell you what the defining characteristics are of Thrash, Powermetal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Prog, etc. They are all just names for metal in my book. I am 36 years old, old enought to have been around and enjoyed these musical forms as they were introduced and became popular. But back then, we just called it METAL. If it was hard, it rocked and had loud guitars, it was metal.

Mike

p.s. And yes, Cookie Monster vocals suck. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

ok.. bad example.. nevermore is an orgy of metal goodness so it is hard to classify them as anything besides heart stopping metal but you get the idea.
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

btw. Big musicians are the ones who don't give a flying fuck about music style names, a lot of them don't even know how to really name their own music.

Fanboys are the ones who argue over names and terms

Categorizing is gay
        Last edited by Endrik; 08-08-2006, 10:51 AM.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ok.. bad example.. nevermore is an orgy of metal goodness so it is hard to classify them as anything besides heart stopping metal but you get the idea.
          But what IS the idea? Is the idea that you have to deal with the disappointing fact that there are Nevermore fans who don't know what genre they fit into to? That is what I took away from your post...that being able to identify these genres and sub-genres is somehow important and relevant to being able to enjoy the music. What genre does Nevermore belong to? My 8 year old thinks it kicks ass, but to him it is just metal...kind of like his dad.

Am I a poser?

Mike

Comment

Metal has sub genres? I don't know who the dude is.. but his quotes made for some good laughs. Now where's my vinyl copy of "killers"?

Comment

there are two styles of music: good and bad

or was it country and western....
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Wow, everyone really hates the "cookie monster" vocals. I've been a death metal (oh shit, i'm categorizing!!) fan for awhile, and most fans I know don't listen to extreme metal for the vocals. It's more about the music. I started playing in the mid-nineties. I wasn't about to get into any bands that were from that era, I got into the 80s shred stuff but wanted something more extreme, so the only thing guitar oriented left was extreme/death/black/whatever you want to call it metal. The vocals were the last thing I cared about, it was heavy guitar driven music. And on a side note, can you honestly say you think a vocal melody would sound good over a Morbid Angel or Nile song?
                EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                  there are two styles of music: good and bad

or was it country and western....
                  "Oh, we have both styles...Country AND Western"

Mike

Comment

That is what I took away from your post...that being able to identify these genres and sub-genres is somehow important and relevant to being able to enjoy the music. What genre does Nevermore belong to
                    hmm... well I was certainly not trying to say that. I could care less what sub genres they are. All I know is they are metal and I do not need to know more than that to enjoy or listen to it. If you really want to know what genre they are, ask BillZ.. I am sure he would have something to say.

Comment

hmm... well I was certainly not trying to say that. I could care less what sub genres they are. All I know is they are metal and I do not need to know more than that to enjoy or listen to it. If you really want to know what genre they are, ask BillZ.. I am sure he would have something to say.
                      OK, cool enough. Nevermore is metal.

Mike

Comment

Mike let's start a band, let's call our music New Wave of Gangsta-Crossover Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                          Mike let's start a band, let's call our music New Wave of Gangsta-Crossover Blues
                          Sweet! Our own Sub-Genre!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                            OK, cool enough. Nevermore is metal.

Mike
                            Ya dude. The first Nevermore tunes I heard were the Heart Collector, The River Dragon Has Come, Enemies of Reality, Believe in Nothing, and We Disintigrate on a mix cd that my neighbor had. I was hooked ever since

Comment

I like Nevermore, but I couldn't tell you what genre of metal they fit into, to be honest.
                              They are in the Ass-Kickin' Kick-Ass Metal genre.

p.s. And yes, Cookie Monster vocals suck. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

He is partially correct about the current state of metal in my opinion. Around here ever band looks, sounds, and acts the same. The seem to be carbon copies of each other and it does not help that a lot of them are emo wuss kids who write songs about the icey cold black hand of death that is in their backs now that she left me... it drives me nuts.
                                I agree with you but only to a point.

Those so-called emo wuss kids think your favorite stuff sounds the same.

Just like the old farts always think the new stuff all sounds the same or lacks the spirit of the original or whatever.

For instance, I got the Wolfmother CD. It's ok. But as I'm listening to it I'm thinking that I'd just rather put on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath because that is way better than Wolfmother. IOW, I am the old fart in this case.
                                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X