No announcement yet.

Words from Kam Lee about the current state of metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have to salute GWAR for creating their own genre...and thereby, their name...or is it the other way around?

Comment

What a tool. Fuck him.

Comment

tim- good point. I suppose they think the music that I listen to is all the same. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side eh?
        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
          For instance, I got the Wolfmother CD. It's ok. But as I'm listening to it I'm thinking that I'd just rather put on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath because that is way better than Wolfmother. IOW, I am the old fart in this case.
          Dude I'm 24 and think the exact same shit! Alot of these rehashing retro-bands do nothing for me, if anything because it HAS been done before, by those who have now become legends. I'll take the pioneering cd (whoops!, record!) any day of the week.

At the very heart and core of 'metal', there'll always be this shroud of 'pure'ness. Metal is all about being outside that comfort zone. Its faster heavier and louder then the norm. Its an iconic but rare style that will always be there, and it'll always be 'cool'. And aslong as its 'cool' it'll be exploited for money by labels. The 'cool'ness of metal with the newage rap singing? Itll sell! The 'cool'ness of metal with the latest teen drama soundtrack over the top? It sells! etc....

Metal forms an eclectic mix, but to be 'metal' it cant be so easily attainable. Which is why itll be displayed in these safer packages that people can attach to temporarily for their 'rock' fix. Just another combination flavour at your 'pop' stand.

I believe 'true' metal people are there for the music. No ego, no self-involvement. From Sabbath/Ozzy/Pantera/Nevermore, all the way into Cookie Death/Corpse Paint Black/Velour Pants Prog, the good will be worshipped, the fads will be laughed at, and we'll still be here. After the rapping douches, after the stupid black hair cuts, and whatevers next.

And we'll be holding JACKSON/CHARVELS!!!

Comment

I'm still waiting for the lemon garlic & pepper metal. Hmm, BBQ'd metal, now that sounds tasty.

I'm a sh!t sometimes...
            Last edited by charvelguy; 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Ya got, speed metal, thrash metal, heavy metal and etc.
              Its all metal to me just some better than others.
              But I do see Kam Lee's point though.
              Little twits having no clue what metal is, it can be annoying sometimes, especially the emo kids. I just want to vomit when I see one, let alone stumble across a link of an emo on "youtube." Its too much for me to take.
              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

it's ironical because metal fans are just as stupid as emo fans because metal fans don't know shit about emo. Emo existed in the 80's and the music is totally different than most of the people can image, today what you see is some kind of new wave thing, original emo is totally different thing.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                  it's ironical because metal fans are just as stupid as emo fans because metal fans don't know shit about emo. Emo existed in the 80's and the music is totally different than most of the people can image, today what you see is some kind of new wave thing, original emo is totally different thing.
                  I didn't even know what Emo was, until recently. I always called those bands, like The Smiths, The Cure, etc. "mopers".

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

wow, Mike you just found out what emo is and you know more about it than 90% of metalheads, you are on the right track with The Cure and stuff
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                      wow, Mike you just found out what emo is and you know more about it than 90% of metalheads, you are on the right track with The Cure and stuff
                      Well, don't forget that this music was contemporary when I was in High School and College...and alot of my friends and roommates liked this stuff. I was dragged to plenty of these shows back in the day. Before I coined the phrase "mopers" I used to call these kids, "blackies" because they all wore black with black hair in the face and heavy black eyeliner and whatnot. Nothing is new, Endrik, it only gets recycled. I didn't much care for this stuff back then, but I had to tolerate it because alot of my friends dug it. I would always try to get them into better stuff..sometimes with positive results.

I saw an "emo" kid a couple of months ago, I think it was one of the first I had actually seen in the flesh, and I was like..."look, a moper!!..man I haven't seen one of those since the early '90s!" Then, I realized THIS was an Emo kid. :ROTF:

Also, don't forget that I am a MUSIC fan..I like everything. I get just as much pleasure out of listening to Dire Straits, Earth, Wind & Fire or even Disco as I do from Nevermore, Metallica or Whitesnake. Of course, Van Halen is an entirely different plateau.

Mike
                      Last edited by MBreinin; 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM.

Comment

everyone read this!!! --> EMO
                        and this --> FOURFA

Comment

Mike, I don't really care about about the "mopers" either, but I'm open minded about different things so I'm aware of what it is and where it did came from

Comment

Wow, I read that stuff Endrik. Funny, I grew up in the D.C. area and haven't even heard of 99% of those bands.

Mike

Comment

Yeah those bands aren't very familiar, I knew about more hardcore sounding bands like Fugazi and Quicksand before

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson
                                I read an interesting message from Kam Lee
                                Who?!?
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X