Words from Kam Lee about the current state of metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh, never mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kam_Lee
    Never heard of him; though, I was a big Death fan from the beginning, as well as early Celtic Frost, Venom, Napalm Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Deicide, etc. I always preferred the heavier metal bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Overkill, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, Anthrax, Testament, Forbidden, Vio-lence, etc. over most of the fluffy '80s bands. The extreme death/grindcore bands were always cool to me, as it was heavy, and the Cookie Monster type vocals didn't bother me; though, they didn't appeal to me as much as the music.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

who the fuck cares about all the stoopid "genre" names for metal bands? most of the bands that want to be called some genre name don't make music anyway, they make Noise.

music is made by musicians who care first and foremost about the music, not what dumb hairstyle to look evil in today, or how much white makeup they can cake on.

fuck all those retards and their labels. just bring the rock and shut the fuck up.

and COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS SUCK ASS. that ain't music.

the real rant about the "scene" should be why all these shitty bands which make awful grinding noise combined with growling, are considered music in the first place.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

You gotta admire the gall of someone that unimportant in the grand scheme of things to stand up on his soap boax and think anyone gives a shit about his little opinion. I also enjoy his level of anger and crazy for thinking anyone would read that and re-evaluate the way they think about genres.

Oh well, at least we have a new whipping boy for a week or two.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Cookie Monster vocals are great as long as it's the Cookie monster singing the song. I'd play out with him if we were musically compatible. I have this theory that the real and Original Cookie Monster is a blues man and we'd both come up with some catchy ass tunes together. Mick and Keith, Steve and Joe, and now Atomic Monster twins-Tommy and Cookie.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Brian from BNRMetal has a pretty good list of genres:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/pages/genres.htm
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
              The extreme death/grindcore bands were always cool to me, as it was heavy, and the Cookie Monster type vocals didn't bother me; though, they didn't appeal to me as much as the music.
              Yeah, Joe, when did you get that kewl Immortal tat?

Last edited by RacerX; 08-09-2006, 04:29 AM.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy
                Cookie Monster vocals are great as long as it's the Cookie monster singing the song. I'd play out with him if we were musically compatible. I have this theory that the real and Original Cookie Monster is a blues man and we'd both come up with some catchy ass tunes together. Mick and Keith, Steve and Joe, and now Atomic Monster twins-Tommy and Cookie.
                Tomster, you gotta get a purple Charvie to match with Cookie.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                  priceless!!
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

That dude's silly...I like him...in a Bugs Bunny sorta way!

SONOFABEESTING!!!

HippieTim mentioned this when it came out..

I picked up the latest Venom "Metal Black"..this is the best Venom ever made IMO..wow, this is catchy, polished, straight forward shit..

you gotta remeber, these dudes are nortorious for that fast, raw, "evil" sound and image that paved the way for black metal..

OK, continue bashing that geek!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX

LOL That looks more like you with short hair now. :ROTF:
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

never heard of Kam Lee...but like some of the others already said, it sounds like any other of a million rants on the blabbermouth forums.

who gives a shit what genre people want to put bands in....they're almost always wrong about it anyway...I hate genres..let the music stay free! if you like it, great! if you don't, hey, move on to the next band...

that guy actually sounds very bitter because he's not part of it anymore.
                        the old "things were better when we were young" mentality.

- Rune.

Comment

Music fans and metal fans have become militant librarians with the arguments about what bands fit what subgenre. Then the fans of certain bands think only the bands they like are "troo" and the rest are posers. Metal fans are so fragmented and hateful toward the metal bands they don't like today, it's sad and funny at once.

Metal had this problem all the way back when it was Speed/Thrash vs. Glam/Pop in the 80s. It's only gotten much worse since then.

So as I said, the specter of dueling metal librarians arguing over genre slots for bands is as hilarious as this statement of Kam Lee. I guess he's the Derek St. Hubbins of death metal - or would that be late-era thrash?
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Same shit different week.

Kam Lee bitching about stuff in an effort to get himself some publicity, mainly for his new band. It is important to note that the little writeup was on his MYSPACE site.

JCFers bitching about cookie monster vocals and how unmusical they are

Me bitching about people that are bitching about......

Coming later this week, more people bitching about the US government.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                              Music fans and metal fans have become militant librarians with the arguments about what bands fit what subgenre. Then the fans of certain bands think only the bands they like are "troo" and the rest are posers. Metal fans are so fragmented and hateful toward the metal bands they don't like today, it's sad and funny at once.

Metal had this problem all the way back when it was Speed/Thrash vs. Glam/Pop in the 80s. It's only gotten much worse since then.
                              I'm actually very guilty of this myself..it's the underground and it's fans that catagorize and put bands into genres and sub genres..

Most "Power/Prog" fand don't care for "Death/Black" metal..and visa versa..so this is inevitable..

So it's easier for me to describe a unknown band to people..

example..your typical Dream Theater/Symphony X fan generally will dislike Immortal/Darkthrone..and visa versa..

I had my probs with that whole "Rap" and "Nu" stuff..I hate it..to me that was pop music fluff..

now it's repleced with this "Emo".."Screamo" stuff..which is a bit more listenble to me..as a disgruntled metal die hard..but it's still "fluff"..but at least kids are playing guitairs again and solos are emerging back into the mainstream..so I really can't complain..

better than a sea of suburbanites mimicking ghetto residents..scratiching records and making fart noises..I think!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, I realize that subgenres have become necessary. I'm talking about the black metal fan who insists that Dimmu Borgir is not black metal because they don't fit HIS individual definition of black metal. I'm not really into that genre at all but I understand that DB are one of the early bands of the genre. So when someone who's a fan of a band that's pushed 500 copies of their CD printed off a 4-track cassette demo is saying the top band of a genre isn't even IN that genre, it becomes rather silly. That's the kind of think that irks me.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X