Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Basement Project Studio

Hey all,

I'm in the middle of a move into my brand new house and have been knocking around some ideas on how to build my project studio/music room in the basement. Just wanted to give a quick overview of my plans and ask for any input or ideas you guys may have regarding construction materials, layout ideas, etc. I'm fairly well versed in the nature of studio design and how acoustics behave, but budget restraints limit what I'm capable of doing. This is total D.I.Y.

The basement is currently partially finished - insulation, vapour barrier, and not much else. The way the heating/cooling ducts, water pipes and the main joist are situated kinda dictate the dimensions of my music room.

The room itself will be 10' x 21' with an 8' to 9' ceiling. The actual height of the ceiling will vary because of the joists and ducts I mentioned. None of my room dimensions will be divisible by each other, so that's good acoustics-wise.

The ceiling will be insulated with pink fiberglass, probably r14. The walls will be 2" x 6" with the same insulation. The interior walls and ceiling will be composed of 1 layer of sonnex or other acoustic dampening wall board and then a layer of drywall over that. The exterior walls of the room that face out to the rest of the basement (only 2 of them - the other 2 are the exisiting basement walls), will be a single layer of drywall. What do you think of this idea? It's not "soundproof", but it should isolate the room pretty good.

The door will be a fairly heavy solid one. Just have to find the right price. I will put some kind of "seal" on the bottom of the door. Any ideas?

I'd post a diagram, but all I have is on graph paper for now. This isn't meant to be a pro-studio, it just for me to have a room to chill, record and play in. Trying to minimize the impact on the rest of the household and keep their loud TV's and shit out of my area. I'm not blasting Marshalls or anything, most of my recording is done using my Pod XTL. Although, I see a drumset in the near future...

I've been around the net looking at various home studio sites and got some cool ideas there. Anybody with experience or ideas on the subject - please chime in with your ideas and suggestions. I'd love to hear them!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Working...
X