To those who hate Nirvana...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Endrik
    Jimmy Page is the greatest riff writer in the history.
    I'd have to go with Iommi over Page in that respect.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Ah, now THIS is a good discussion topic.

Nirvana... well... Im 24, so Nirvana was in their prime when I was in middle school. At the time, I was just getting into music, and Nirvana was it. I had never really heard any metal at that point because noone I knew listened to it. So I loved Nirvana ! Started playing guitar then, and of course started playing all the Nirvana songs.

I remember going into a gutar store once with my mom asking for lessons. The guy asked me who my favorite guitarist was, I said Kurt Cobain. He just laughed and said I dont want him, maybe someone else. I didnt realize why at the time he said that .

It wasnt until freshman/sophmore year that I started getting into metal... and I never looked back. I always look back in regret not knowing about metal at the time... I think it could have influenced my early learning in a much better way than onle power-chord based songs. So you can say that I "graduated to metal"... I guess I was one of the ones who, once they heard metal, knew it was better than this new Nirvana-ish stuff.

I do think Nirvana killed the guitar god... but maybe it was time to do so. Metal at that point had been progressing since the 70's, and it was getting tired.

Although metal is by far the best music, Nirvana had its place, and opened up the doors to alot of other great bands like Soundgarden, AIC and the like. NEVER liked Perl Jam though... Eddies voice pisses me off for some reason.

Do I hate Nirvana? No... I cant, because of them I got into gutar when I did. Maybe it would have eventually happenned, but it wouldnt have been for atleast a couple years later.

The Nirvana-era put a temporary end to the guitar god era. Only now are we starting to get back to playing skills... and we will return one day, and its coming. Nirvana closed alot of doors for bands, but also opened up doors for future bands in this era... Im not talking about bands that are already around or came out during the Nirvana-era... Im talking about the bands that are going to come along in the recent future and again, change the face of rock. The "New Nirvana" is overdue, and Im confident they will come along soon, and the day of the guitar gods will be here once again.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Well, when I started playing I played everything that Angus Young played, and it was the same stuff really. Bluesy power cords, the cheap way to learn ACDC. Yeah, I graduated to harder stuff, but when you start with music that requires timing and skipping strings, I don't think you ever regret it. Yeah, Nirvana is easy, but it's learning chord progressions is a good start. It's better than seeing kids do finger tapping that sounds like a complete hash, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
          I hated Poison/Firehouse/Warrant just as equally as Shitvana..

hate 'em all...
          I actually liked Nirvana better than those bands, and I'm 34. I didn't care all that much for Nirvana, but somebody bought me their Nevermind cd, and it was okay. The album they put out after that, In Utero, I actually stole that cassette from the local supermarket I worked in at the time; it was also an okay album, too. Scott Ian actually categorized them as hard rock/metal and that's what I kinda thought of them as, just without solos. I did have a party with some friends when Dirt Cobain killed himself, though.
          :ROTF:
          I was always more into the heavier bands back in the '80s, like Slayer, Overkill, Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, etc. Some of the fluffy '80s bands I really liked, like Dokken, Motley Crue, Ratt, but I never really cared for, nor did I get, the whole glam image. I was sick of that crap before it ended... everybody dressed the same and sang the same power ballad shit that was all the same cheesy crap... good love gone bad, bad love gone good, bad love, good love, girl I need your love, blah, blah, blah. Give me a fucking break already! LOL
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The first time I heard a Nirvana tune I thought it was ok - better than Warrant for sure. But then I heard more of their stuff and thought "wow, they suck".

I don't care that they didn't have guitar solos. I care that the guitar playing, singing, and songs sucked.

At a certain point I actually became aware of what Boom-Boom was singing about. I have to say that it's pretty hard to take them seriously when you've got a couple of suburban white boys complaining about how hard things are. They were just a bunch of whiners. And any of you suburban white boys that can relate to what they were singing about are probably whiners too :ROTF:
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Jimmy Page is the greatest riff writer in the history mwm70.
              I love Jimmy Page. Great studio musician. But, Led Zeppelin I was no more then a rip off of other peoples music. But, that being said, he was a complete slop while playing live most of the time with just some of the most golden moments in rock and roll history. He really could nail it sometimes and others I am surprised he was actually standing. He can really be a mixed bag sometimes.

The guy definately had a impact on musicians today. But, I would have to agree with some of the other people here. The bigger splash in Metal history goes to Tony.

-Nate
              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by nateb
                I love Jimmy Page. Great studio musician. But, Led Zeppelin I was no more then a rip off of other peoples music. But, that being said, he was a complete slop while playing live most of the time with just some of the most golden moments in rock and roll history. He really could nail it sometimes and others I am surprised he was actually standing. He can really be a mixed bag sometimes.

The guy definately had a impact on musicians today. But, I would have to agree with some of the other people here. The bigger splash in Metal history goes to Tony.

-Nate
                you are talking about metal, I'm talking about all the music. Jimmy influenced more players including the ones who are not metal fans.

Yeah, Tony was the pioneer of metal, but c'mon he is also booring as hell.
                Sabbath did only a couple of great albums, after Sabotage they sucked. Heaven and Hell was a good one, but after that same shit.
                Now Zep made only strong albums except for the last one wich was decent.

Tony wrote some great riffs, but Jimmy wrote more more and more.
                Last edited by Endrik; 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                  I was sick of that crap before it ended... everybody dressed the same and sang the same power ballad shit that was all the same cheesy crap... good love gone bad, bad love gone good, bad love, good love, girl I need your love, blah, blah, blah. Give me a fucking break already! LOL
                  thrash and heavy metal bands looked the same too, and they sang about the same shit and a lot of them sounded exactly the same.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I literally cannot RANT enough about how bad I HATE, F*CKING HATE nirvana. Zero talent, zero anything on any level. F*ck them, thank god they're dead and buried...

They go on my top of my list of worst bands/musicians ever:

1) Nirvana
                    2) The Doors
                    3) Neil Young
                    4) Bob Dylan

Listening to a bar of any of their music is worse than chinese water torture...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E.

I literally cannot RANT enough about how bad I HATE, F*CKING HATE nirvana. Zero talent, zero anything on any level. F*ck them, thank god they're dead and buried...

They go on my top of my list of worst bands/musicians ever:

1) Nirvana
                      2) The Doors
                      3) Neil Young
                      4) Bob Dylan

Listening to a bar of any of their music is worse than chinese water torture...
                      Thanks for your opinion....now can you update the Gallery/GOTM?

Comment

thrash and heavy metal bands looked the same too, and they sang about the same shit and a lot of them sounded exactly the same.
                        Okay, but they didn't look gay! :ROTF:

Here's a question: Is it gay to think the "chicks" in Poison were hot?!? :ROTF:
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
                          Thanks for your opinion....now can you update the Gallery/GOTM?
                          Not until I calm down, I'm still all riled up over here about this whole nirvana thing...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                            Okay, but they didn't look gay! :ROTF:

Here's a question: Is it gay to think the "chicks" in Poison were hot?!? :ROTF:
                            they looked gay to get laid

getting a lot of pussy erases the gayness

Comment

35.. the worst part is that for (more then) some cobain is actually a 'guitar hero' ..

Comment

38. Didnt hate Nirvana, still dont. Am still a big PJ fan. Always was an AIC fan, Soungarden,Mudhoney,Mother Love Bone,etc.....

Anyone who thinks that Grunge killed the guitar solo has never listened to Mike Mcready or Kim Thayil....

It was time for a change. Time for the self important pretty boys/girls to get a grip.

Shawn
                                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X