Is your home safe for your pets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your home safe for your pets?

I have a Rottie and a Chihuahua. I've always thought my house was safe for my pets, maybe not safe FROM them, especially my Rottie!

Last week the chihuahua was seriously injured and at first I thought maybe it was Pita, my Rottie, who either swatted at him playing with him or maybe she bit him when he got too close to her food.

He had blood pouring from his right eye, so naturally I figured it was the big bully.

To make a long story we had a grape vine wreath leaning up against the cabinets in the floor. This is basically long thin twigs intertwined together to make a wreath. I hate them and always have, but women seem to like that shit.

Anyway, little dude ran into that dumbass wreath, shoving a piece of it about a half inch into his eye leaving an equally long gash in it.

That really made me start looking at the whole safety thing a little closer. I've always disliked shit sticking out from the walls, especially stuff that can catch an eye, but I never really put much thought into things below knee level.

The vet is hopeful that he can save his eye, but doesn't know if he'll ever have use of it again. If he can't clear the infection up he'll have to remove it. I hope he can tell me something more tomorrow... At the very least I'm hoping he can take that lamp shade collar off of him. That's got to be driving that little fucker nuts!

The things you have decorating your house could be harmful or even fatal to your pets and babies too. So take a closer look and keep them safe!
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

man I am sorry to hear about your dog man that sucks.. hopefully it will be ok...
    “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Sorry to hear about your doggie...hope he'll be OK...it reminded me of an article I read recently...also check paper shredders:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/shredder.asp
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I'll be double checking my house tonight, and definitley turning off the paper shredder!!

Comment

Dave I'm very sorry to hear that, Pico is our 7 year old 4 lb Chihuahua. He hurt himself by jumping off a couch when he was young..it blew out his knees.

He is suffering from arthitis and flux patellas..he can't even hop onto a 7" step without falling over..sad..

we have to carry him all over, he's not in pain NOW, he's my wifes' baby..she's going to be CRUSHED when he goes more than all of us!!!

I know the inevitable when his quality of life goes south..my wife thinks he's going to live peachy until he's 25 years old..I'm not even going there..I know better..

we got doggie stairs for the bed and couch, sometimes he forgets and wants to jump..invest in those man..their legs are like twigs and too fragile for vets to even want to touch them..and they advised us when they do it's not sucessful..

Sorry Bro..I love Chihuahuas..

Take care..

Bill
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sorry to hear..we currently don't have any pets but the woman is always talking about the house having to be so much more dog proof as they'll get into everything.

Comment

no... my wife lives there... j/k

Seriously though I would imagine our house would be pretty safe for any sort of pet. My sister in law brings her puppy over all the time. He does not shed and is a small punter dog (the kind you can punt out of the way if necessary) so my wife is cool with it. We have discussed getting a dog many times but it is a new house and we have little/no yard. We are probably going to wait until we move into setting with more of a yard which is good because it gives me more time to convince her to let me get a lab... She hates big dogs and I've had labs all my life.
              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Little dude went to the vet today and it's not looking good. The vet was disappointed that he's gotten worse because he was doing so well Saturday when we took him.

He's got to go to an ophthalmologist Tuesday to see what he says. I just really hope they don't have to do more surgery on him. The little guy is 11 years old and I fear that will take a few years off his life.

On a lightly different note,

My Rottie, my baby, has ended up with female problems. I can't even begin to explain that stuff, but she goes through false pregnancy. She goes nuts with nesting and being very protective of her toys, treating them like her pups. Sad, but a little funny to watch the goofball try to nurse a stuffed animal.

So instead of getting pups from her, like I wanted, I have to get her "fixed" because the vet said when she goes through this she could get an infection in her female parts and die from it.

So, once little dude is doing better I'll have take her in. I dread that because I know there's no way I will ever be able to keep one of those lamp shade collars on her.

Dogs are truely amazing. If you don't have one find a breed that fits your personality and get a pup. That dog will love you unconditionally. I have always believed people who don't have a dog or doesn't want one is missing out. Never a dull moment with mine!
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that, you and your pups are in my thoughts. Keep us updated please.

Comment

What do they do, put their tongue in the paper shredder?
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

...or their ears
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You have to be very careful about your yard as well. My friend's backyard had a big honeysuckle bush growing all over the chain link fence. His dogs were out playing and one of them came running in howling. It had a 6 inch piece of a honeysuckle branch stuck in his eye. It was the weirdest thing seeing that dog with a stick as thick as your pinky finger just sticking out of the corner of his eye. Those dogs loved running the fence line chasing the other dog next door and apparently a branch was hanging low enough and his dog just ran right into it at the perfect angle. Luckily it didn't damage the eye or go in far enough to do any other type of damage. We spent the next day cutting all of that honeysuckle out of the fence.

Comment

A guy I work with had a golden retriever suffocate on a tennis ball last year. His wife took the dog to the park with one of those stick things that launches the ball. The dog jumped at the ball while it was still bouncing and the ball logged down its throat. She could not dislodge the ball and it died before she could get help.
                          ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

My mom and uncle lost a lab or two due to it choking on a tennis ball.
                            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Working...
                            X