Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a buddy of mine got a gun permit....

Last year a buddy of mine got a gun permit after being attacked by a guy with a pair of garden sheers. The guy messed him up pretty good.

Details are sketchy right now, but last night my buddy gets into a fistfight at a bar an ends up shooting someone in the stomach.

Link to story: http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...8-589714026523

I hope for his sake his life was in danger, but some how I get the feeling it wasn't. If the latter is the case he will be going away for a while and should.

Matt

I don't know the laws in NY, but is there any training requirements for getting a permit?
    In AZ, you don't need a permit to own a gun, and you can carry a gun in public as long as it's visible.
    You do need a permit to carry a concealed weapon though, but you are required to take and PASS a rather in depth training class before getting the permit.

I hope for his sake it was true self defense.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
      I don't know the laws in NY, but is there any training requirements for getting a permit?
      In AZ, you don't need a permit to own a gun, and you can carry a gun in public as long as it's visible.
      You do need a permit to carry a concealed weapon though, but you are required to take and PASS a rather in depth training class before getting the permit.

I hope for his sake it was true self defense.
      Yep, this guy gets a permit and me, the guy who has 2 tickets on his criminal record, doesn't. I went through the process a while back but it was while we had a judge that issued a total of 3 guy permits in 10 years, 1 to himself and another to a relative. You do take a 3 course and it has to be approved by a judge. Common sence tells you NOT to get into any kind of fight if you have a gun on you.

Comment

Man that sucks. I'm generally pro-carry but having a gun nearby during a heated confrontation is just asking for trouble. I've got a friend who usually carries two glocks in his truck and he's told me he'd shoot someone before taking an "ass-whiping" but he's a big SOB so not many people mess with him, thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear
          Common sence tells you NOT to get into any kind of fight if you have a gun on you.
          Yep... part of why I just don't carry one anymore.
          Not that I get in fights a lot. My fear would be if it was taken away from me and used against me or someone else.
          -Rick

Comment

boy Syracuse is becoming quite the violent little city, when I was up there a couple months ago you heard a killing or shooting or two every damn day, I think they are trying to compete with Houston..
            “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Having a gun on you during a fight is not good at all. You could loose you cool like my buddy probably did or it could fall out and it get used on you.

Comment

As a cop I can tell you right now this don't look good..

no matter what the alleged "victims" criminal record looks like..

Hopefully he can ARTICULATE justifiscation on his use of deadly force..guns in a liquor establishment is a NO NO!!

Even for coppers..I seen many cops haung themselves in such a scenario..MANY!

All speculation and what if's aside..he MUST convince detectives / judge and jury that he sincerely perceived that his life was in danger...period!

If this is not a cut and dry case..he's in for a long ride..he's in for a ride anyhow.

I was in a very cut and dry JUSTIFIED firefight with over 80 rounds exchanged and they really put me through the ringer..I was cleared of any wrong doing but they didn't convict the dick shooting at me..well he had a paper conviction..fucker!!

In most cases you're better killing the asshole..dead men tell no tales, and they don't try come after you in a civil lawsuite either..

Boy I know it..

Good luck to your bud..he's gonna need it.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Here's ONE article of many of my incident..it ran for over two weeks on the local news and papers..

It was fucked up!!

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/plaindea...OLICE+GUNFIGHT

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666

All speculation and what if's aside..he MUST convince detectives / judge and jury that he sincerely perceived that his life was in danger...period!
                    That about sums it up. If you can't convince the detectives not to arrest you (almost impossible in a case like this) or convince the DA not to file charges on you, you better be able to prove to 12 people that you had not other choice. Thanks for wishing him luck, but he is probably screwed.

I hope the guy he shot is going to be ok unless he was trying to kill my buddy. If he was trying to kill my buddy then he should have emptied the gun and even considered reloading.....

Comment

Well if he was under the influence or without valid reasons of self-defense, he's going to have a new boyfriend called Bubba soon enough, I'm afraid....

--------
                      Bill,

80 rounds?! That is in-fucking-sane...!
                      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                        Here's ONE article of many of my incident..it ran for over two weeks on the local news and papers..

It was fucked up!!

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/plaindea...OLICE+GUNFIGHT
                        Damn dude.....

Comment

Damn dude.....
                          +1... that's messed up Bill.
                          -Rick

Comment

Ya know, I was all set to go into law enforcement. I was most of the way through my degre and really thought about it. I am not sure I could deal with the emotional aftermath of having to kill someone.

Comment

Ya know, I was all set to go into law enforcement. I was most of the way through my degre and really thought about it. I am not sure I could deal with the emotional aftermath of having to kill someone.
                              I thought I could too..I was wrong!!

That explains why and how I am ..

I'm a pretty bitter and VERY mean person because of it..

I loved fighting assholes..and they are everywhere..I will call ass on a grandma cutting me in traffic or King Kong hittin' on my wife.. when I'm in the red..they look the same.

The thing is I'm in the red A LOT and I don't play well with others..

all because of "law enforcement"..and the permanant physical pain it left me in..

I want to inflict my pain on others..so I don't go out of the fuggin' house..EVER!!

Yes, I go to pschotherapy paid for by the state of Ohio and this is ALL documeneted..every honest word .

This forum is my entire social outlet..I detest people.

Comment

Working...
                              X