Yet another Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MBreinin
    This may sound sick, but I was actually hoping we get it right up the ass in New Orleans. Until this city survives another storm, there is always going to be that question...and that question is what is keeping people from coming home..including my two kids. We need to ride one out with success here, then people will feel comfortable coming home.

Mike
    Mike, I see your point!

How old are your kids..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
      Mike, I see your point!

How old are your kids..
      My kids are just about to turn 9 and 6. They are in Denver.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

This may sound sick, but I was actually hoping we get it right up the ass in New Orleans. Until this city survives another storm, there is always going to be that question...and that question is what is keeping people from coming home..including my two kids. We need to ride one out with success here, then people will feel comfortable coming home.

Mike
        Well, had it come that way, it would've passed between Cuba and the Yucatan, never lost hurricane strength and hit as a Category 3 storm. That was the prediction about 4 days ago.

The Corps of Engineers has already said they don't know if the levees could take that. This to me is them saying the levees WOULD NOT take it, and that people had better get the hell out of town.

If the city had been hit by a Category 3 and the levees broke again, that would've been the coup de grace for New Orleans. so unless you were ready to move to Denver yourself, you should be glad Ernesto turned.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My kids are just about to turn 9 and 6. They are in Denver.

Mike
          Mike, do you see them often..your missing them still because of Katrina??

I'm sorry man, that really sucks!!

Bill

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
            should I contact Al Sharpton and advise him of this hurricane!!??

Maybe his hot air could divert it..or scare it away with that Billy Dee Williams Doo..also known as The Black Mullet!!
            NOOOO!!!!! Bill, hot air makes hurricanes STRONGER!!! The scale only goes to Category 5, but get Al Sharpton in there and it could go Category 12!!!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
              Well, had it come that way, it would've passed between Cuba and the Yucatan, never lost hurricane strength and hit as a Category 3 storm. That was the prediction about 4 days ago.

The Corps of Engineers has already said they don't know if the levees could take that. This to me is them saying the levees WOULD NOT take it, and that people had better get the hell out of town.

If the city had been hit by a Category 3 and the levees broke again, that would've been the coup de grace for New Orleans. so unless you were ready to move to Denver yourself, you should be glad Ernesto turned.
              I certainly didn't want it going near you guys, but I am willing to take my chances here. This city is sleepwalking...we need something to rally behind. Perhaps we would have flooded catastrophically again, perhaps we would have made it. I really can't say. I have no plans on leaving New Orleans anytime in the near future. I finally let a good friend of mine convince me to come to work at his firm...we handle flood litigation for FEMA and the Feds. Needless to say, there is alot of work to be done.

Bill, I see my kids a few times a year. They were living in Lake Charles last year when Rita hit and I was seeing them every weekend at that point...which was down from seeing them 50-50% before the move to Lake Charles. My ex-wife's husband lost both of his jobs and used that as a springboard to get my ex to move to his hometown. It was tit for tat as she had made him leave New Orleans for Lake Charles the year before. My ex despises Denver and wants to come back to New Orleans. However, like tens of thousands of others, she wants to see how New Orleans does this hurricane season before they make that decision.

Mike

Comment

Mike, sorry if my post sounded a little harsh. Really my main thought is that we - Biloxi OR New Orleans - are not ready to face any serious storm yet. It wasn't long ago, right after the storm, when newscasts were debatingt whether New Orleans should be rebuilt at all. It was presented as infeasible in the long run, articles saying that with the current rate of marshland loss, New Orleans will be IN the gulf in 50 years.

To get another major storm this soon might seal the fate. It might be decided to make Baton Rouge the big port and let New Orleans fall to ruin. I would terribly hate to see that happen. For all its ills New Orleans has a beauty about it that's unique. It is steeped in history, and the country would be the less without it.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Mike, sorry if my post sounded a little harsh. Really my main thought is that we - Biloxi OR New Orleans - are not ready to face any serious storm yet. It wasn't long ago, right after the storm, when newscasts were debatingt whether New Orleans should be rebuilt at all. It was presented as infeasible in the long run, articles saying that with the current rate of marshland loss, New Orleans will be IN the gulf in 50 years.

To get another major storm this soon might seal the fate. It might be decided to make Baton Rouge the big port and let New Orleans fall to ruin. I would terribly hate to see that happen. For all its ills New Orleans has a beauty about it that's unique. It is steeped in history, and the country would be the less without it.
                  No sweat. You make valid points. Maybe I am just optimistic and figure that if New Orleans took one on the chin and made it through without flooding, it would do us some good. I would never WISH for a disaster..but Hurricanes are essentially a fact of life for us Gulf Coast dwellers.

Mike

Comment

True dat, and in regular times, I've actually enjoyed the minor tropical storms and even Category 1 hurricanes. The power of nature can be beautiful when it doesn't completely crush you, and I do love a good storm when it doesn't actually destroy things.

It took 20 years for the MS Coast to come back from Camille, we aren't ready for another big one. Hell, right now a tropical storm would fuck us up pretty bad, with 100,000 people in flimsy FEMA trailers.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

We have 73,000 travel trailers in the state of Louisiana right now. Most of them in the New Orleans area. I guess a storm of even strong tropical force would wreak havoc. However, most people are more concerned with the levees....

Mike

Comment

hopefully this year the weather is going to be kind to you guys

Comment

So far we've been very lucky, but the season's not quite half over. September is the peak month and the season runs until November 30. Last year we had tropical storms even in December.

But it seems the western Pacific is having a rougher year this year than we are. China got hammered by a super-typhoon a few weeks ago, 170mph winds. That's a Category 5 on our scale. I don't wish that on anybody, I can only imagine what those folks are going through now. You know China wouldn't say much no matter how many died.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

NOOOO!!!!! Bill, hot air makes hurricanes STRONGER!!! The scale only goes to Category 5, but get Al Sharpton in there and it could go Category 12!!!
                            I hear ya Man..

Rich, you kill me!!

Comment

Rich, I was thinking about you last night, I think it was Nightline that had a special about Biloxi.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

actually it looks like a Cat 1 at worst. if it had travelled across the gulf it could have been a 3 by landfall. I made up a hurricane checklist for this year. cuz we still have a ways to go. got a second generator that will power up a couple circuits in the house and run the well, we are just about the highest point in the state so flooding isn't an issue. these things can be nasty. fortunatly there is ample warning to those are willing and able to prepare
                                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                                X