Cult leader Jeffs arrested in Escalade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam
    All religions are cults. People need to start believing in themselves.
    Mark this day on your calendar folks. For today is a remarkable day indeed. I agree with Toejam. WTF?!?!?

:ROTF:
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
      Let me rephrase that for you:

The mainstream <insert your church/religion here> is plenty nutty on its own!
      Well dunk my head in a dirty river, you're right. Come on you people with faith. Are we just damning ourselves to hell? On a serious note, this is not the place to do that. I admire the ones that are reading this thread and choose not to participate. Keep your faith and let us rant onto "The Highway to Hell"
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
        Mark this day on your calendar folks. For today is a remarkable day indeed. I agree with Toejam. WTF?!?!?

:ROTF:
        The sky is falling!! :ROTF:
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I disagree w/ Joe's statement. That is an opinion borne of past experience. There are many definitions of what a cult is <-- click there for a list.

Possibly Joe's blanket statement might hold true in the context of the Wiki paragraph (2nd paragraph) but that would only hold true if all the population who are in religions would suddenly (or eventually) be in the minority on this earth.
          Unfortunately for Joe, that is not the case right now (although you wish it was, right, you ex-Catholic? ), so his above statement is false (within the accepted definitions of "cult"). Certainly Joe is entitled to his opinion.

Now in MY background - if you care to hear it - we were taught the definition in the 4th paragraph: "In the context of Christianity...it is a group that uses the Bible but distorts the doctrines that affect salvation sufficiently to cause salvation to be unattainable. A few examples of cults are Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Christadelphians, Unity, Religious Science, The Way International, and the Moonies."

More specifically, the definition that I studied under is something like this: "A group of people polarized around one person's false interpretation of traditional Scripture"
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
            More specifically, the definition that I studied under is something like this: "A group of people polarized around one person's false interpretation of traditional Scripture"
            That's what I said. That being said, come to the Universal Life Church. I will lead you down any path you choose to take. We don't get into the deep religion. And it's not a cult. It's just as stupid as all .........
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yea - US!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                Now hold on here. My Granny's Mormon family left Utah in the late 1800's and went to Mexico because of the anti-poligamy laws that were passed. She was born in Mexico in 1900. It's a very interesting story. I am not religious in any way shape or form. But, I do take issue with lumping this nut with the Mormon Church as it stands today. It's like saying all Muslims are all hell bent for leather to destroy the US. Not only that, but the Mormon Church is probably richer than the Catholic Church and they know how to keep secrets.
                That's why I said splinter groups, everybody knows what that means since a few shootouts that made the news over the years.

And NOBODY is richer than the Catholic church! We have as many people as the Chinese!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X