Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain won!!!

Spain - Greece 70-47

and they won without Pau (tournament MVP)

They have been my favourite team for about 7 years because they have good teamwork and great defense. Now they got their deserved title.

It was like basketball defense ABC what they did in the final game.

110% effort, fighting for every single ball, great teamwork, awsome support in defense.

USA players with huge paychecks and great physical abilities have the worst defense EVER. I know they could be a lot better, but they don't put any effort into it. They are just standing when the others are doing the most basic combinations and run over them.
    What the heck are the coaches in US doing? I have a feeling that when a kid goes to basketball practice for the first time, the coach tells them how to slam dunk and lift weights. Absolutely no support in defense play, no team work no nothing. WTF??????
    I remember when players like Bird, Magic, MJ, Mailman, Admiral etc. played with brains and passion, the new players are like complete idiots.
    Last edited by Endrik; 09-03-2006, 07:23 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Originally posted by Endrik
    USA players with huge paychecks and great physical abilities have the worst defense EVER. I know they could be a lot better, but they don't put any effort into it. They are just standing when the others are doing the most basic combinations and run over them.
    What the heck are the coaches in US doing? I have a feeling that when a kid goes to basketball practice for the first time, the coach tells them how to slam dunk and lift weights. Absolutely no support in defense play, no team work no nothing. WTF??????
    I remember when players like Bird, Magic, MJ, Mailman, Admiral etc. played with brains and passion, the new players are like complete idiots.
    I completely agree. They won against us though...

Comment

You listed MJ against and the Mailman as players who who played with brains and passion. Those two guys did a lot to change the game from the way Bird and Magic played it to the way it's played today. MJs superior athleticism forced the isolation offense that you see in the NBA today. The triangle offense of the Bulls was downright brutal. It didn't require any of the teamwork you're talking about. It was designed to isolate superior players on inferior players. That's why the NBA is what it is today.

The fact is, there are some amazing shooters in the NBA, but none of them were on this team. I don't know why. Where were Ray Allen? Rip Hamilton? Michael Redd? And as for fundamentals, the NBA right now has its highest free throw % ever in its history. So that's strong too.

The international game is simply different than the NBA game. The defenses you see in the international game would be ILLEGAL in the NBA. The NBA just recently instituted zones, but only a limited zone, not the all out zone you saw in FIBA. That zone is made to take the athleticism of players away as it prevents them from driving to the basket, and it emphasizes outside shooting. Under NBA rules, the USA simply wouldn't lose. There are two different games with two different styles of play. The international one takes away athleticism while the US one emphasizes driving to the basket. Depending on what rules you play under you'll get very different results.

I'm not making apologies for the US. I actual prefer the older style of play, the Celts and Lakers, etc. I'd rather it be that way. But I'm just stating the facts as they are. Passing in the NBA is the least effective way to score simply because it means you're not taking advantage of the rules which do not allow players to be doubled on the perimeter.

I do find it odd though that Europeans prefer this style of play in basketball but in soccer they complain when teams like the USA and Greece purposely go into a defensive zone and gum up the flow of play, preventing the skill and athleticism of teams like Brazil or Portugal. It's odd.

Comment

Espana gana. Me alegro.
        They deserved it. The best TEAM.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

leave the ladies to play this and call it netball

Comment

Originally posted by jjw
            leave the ladies to play this and call it netball
            no wonder why brits suck at basketball too physical and demanding perhaps? unlike soccer wich consist 70% of theatrics how to act like you've been hurt even if the other player didn't touch you, as I understand this crybaby game is concidered as women's sport in US

btw. I've seen women play basket, it's brutal!!!
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by danastas
              You listed MJ against and the Mailman as players who who played with brains and passion. Those two guys did a lot to change the game from the way Bird and Magic played it to the way it's played today. MJs superior athleticism forced the isolation offense that you see in the NBA today. The triangle offense of the Bulls was downright brutal. It didn't require any of the teamwork you're talking about. It was designed to isolate superior players on inferior players. That's why the NBA is what it is today.

The fact is, there are some amazing shooters in the NBA, but none of them were on this team. I don't know why. Where were Ray Allen? Rip Hamilton? Michael Redd? And as for fundamentals, the NBA right now has its highest free throw % ever in its history. So that's strong too.

The international game is simply different than the NBA game. The defenses you see in the international game would be ILLEGAL in the NBA. The NBA just recently instituted zones, but only a limited zone, not the all out zone you saw in FIBA. That zone is made to take the athleticism of players away as it prevents them from driving to the basket, and it emphasizes outside shooting. Under NBA rules, the USA simply wouldn't lose. There are two different games with two different styles of play. The international one takes away athleticism while the US one emphasizes driving to the basket. Depending on what rules you play under you'll get very different results.

I'm not making apologies for the US. I actual prefer the older style of play, the Celts and Lakers, etc. I'd rather it be that way. But I'm just stating the facts as they are. Passing in the NBA is the least effective way to score simply because it means you're not taking advantage of the rules which do not allow players to be doubled on the perimeter.

I do find it odd though that Europeans prefer this style of play in basketball but in soccer they complain when teams like the USA and Greece purposely go into a defensive zone and gum up the flow of play, preventing the skill and athleticism of teams like Brazil or Portugal. It's odd.
              I've followed NBA games since I was 9. I was a huge fan and I'm aware what rules there are.
              Mike was infact a very smart player and he played with a lot of passion. He was a real fighter.
              Stock and Mailman were the kings of pick and roll. Stupid players can't do that so many times. "Stockton-to-Malone" is probably the most legendary phrase in basketball. And they both were very very clever. Mailman made other power forwards look like fools millions of times with his tricky mid-range jump shots. Both jazzers were dirty players but could bend the rules very well for their own good.
              Old Dream Team dominated because all the players were smart.
              The new players are just as good as the old guys. The have the same physical abilities or even better. But they are just plain stupid and that's why they don't win.
              NBA players are still the best in the world. They would kick ass in 1-on-1.
              The others wouldn't have any change against them. But remember basketball is a team sport. European and South-American players are way smarter and the coaches are way way better. And within 10 years non-American players are much more physical as they were before. So you got good physical AND smart players against guys who are only good physically. NBA is full of non-US superstars lately. Dirk, Peja, Pau, Ginobili etc. NBA isn't "mytholocical" league anymore when the others were scared of them.

I stopped watching NBA when all the old guys retired. I don't like players such as T-Mac and Kobe who are playing for the sake of growing their statistical numbers.
              There are still some decent guys like Duncan and Kidd and well Shaq but one player can't win all by himself.

Comment

no wonder why brits suck at basketball too physical and demanding perhaps? unlike soccer wich consist 70% of theatrics how to act like you've been hurt even if the other player didn't touch you, as I understand this crybaby game is concidered as women's sport in US

btw. I've seen women play basket, it's brutal!!!
                i couldnt give a toss about football(give it its correct name your not a yank so dont act like one)or fucking basketball.I do like martial arts that enough contact for you?

Comment

I always say soccer because it's closer to sucker than football. And you can't do much with martial arts against Shaq O'Neal

Comment

Bullshit. Watch the Premier League and eat your words - you're talking out of your ass. In other leagues it is different, but with the British you're definitely barking against the wrong tree. Football is a physical sport, even if the FIFA try to make it not be.
                    Also, the British have rugby. Compare to that basketball? American football?

Comment

Fusball is physical compared to what? Chess? I know the game, I was the best defender in my school, but I just hate it.

Comment

I didn't say you were not a fan of the NBA. I said the major difference is the rules. Jordan did his thing by isolating, and the game changed right after that.

I mean, some of these coaches are worshipped by the very same smart players you list. People like Bird think that Coach K. and Roy Williams are like gods.

Like I said, I honestly don't think this is a matter of bad fundamentals or team play. The NBA players, to reach the top of their game, simply focus on honing skills which are neutralized by international rules. That's the big difference in my opinion. When you look at New Jersey, they are the only team that plays with a European mindset, but even though they have a ton of talent, it hasn't really gotten them anywhere, because whenever they get to the semifinals or finals, the opposition breaks them down and destroys them.
                        Last edited by danastas; 09-03-2006, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I know the game, I was the best defender in my school, but I just hate it.
                          And that means what in the real world?
                          Seriously, just watch a damn Premier League game. The guys there are fighting for the ball, get booed by their own supporters if they're being crybabies and have a totally different mentality than, say, the Italians.

Comment

USA has the best choaching system. Head coach, co coach, guard coach, forward coach, center coach, free throw coach, 3p coach, shooting coach, technique coach, physical coach, sex life adviser, clothing stylist etc.
                            While I agree that there are some very good coaches in NBA who can make good combinations and whatnot, there isn't much pratical use for all that.

NBA should cut the crap and bring the real basketball back to life. I hate basketball 90% of time right now. Specially my national league wich is full of talentless players right now and NBA wich is more like a circus.
                            One of the biggest mistakes lately is the populirazation of AND1's streetball. Kicking the ball, no travelling and tribbling on the other players' heads is not a fucking basketball. But young kids think it's the shit.

USA has the most ridiculous offense strategy in the world right now. Point guard dribbles to his zone, then he passes to somone who goes instantly to 1-on-1 play. It's ridiculous, only one pass. And they have a shooting-line/order. "I shoot first, then you, then him, and then that dude and then me again" or something like that.
                            It worked in Sydney, Kidd passed the ball and then Morning did an ali-hoop, then Carter did an ali-hoop etc. It was funny to wach. But the rest of the world got smarter and stronger, it doesn't work anymore.

Hey I love slam dunks and all the tricks, but they aren't interesting if they are just for showing off and the rest of the game is non-existent. Dunks are just an extra spice for the game, but you can't build the whole game around tricks. NBA should finally realise that, one day people will realise it's fake and don't show up anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Baum83
                              And that means what in the real world?
                              Seriously, just watch a damn Premier League game. The guys there are fighting for the ball, get booed by their own supporters if they're being crybabies and have a totally different mentality than, say, the Italians.
                              I've seen that stuff many times, while I'm not impressed at all because the games I've played have caused me a lot of pain (broken bones, smashed face, elbow hits against the nose every friggin' time etc.) it is WAY WAY better how the Italians play who deserve an Academy Award for the best script and the best starring actors.

Comment

Working...
                              X