No announcement yet.

The BBQ thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas defeats the purpose IMO. I have a friend in Chicago who had never used charcoal to BBQ with, just gas. I talked him into trying Charcoal and soaked wood chips just once... He said he'd NEVER use gas again.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by dk2magic
      smokemaster...

http://grill-doctor.stores.yahoo.net/1830os.html

my father in law bought one... then he requested me to use it just before he passed away. so trying to use it every chance i can.
      That's a killer grill!
      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by St.James
        That's a killer grill!
        How about a TEC

Comment

Gas barbies are just stoves on the outside. When I was a kid, I used to go to a friends house and we would watch TV sittiing outside where it was cool. Of course, that was before we had plasma; hemaglobin; 60" hi-def pieces of TV.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: And it was BW if I remember correctly.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Wagner Char-King Imperiale
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I agree charcoal is king, but gas isn't bad

Comment

It's a bit messy, but I have done char with a gas grill and it works great. All the heat when you need it an the char flavor. Although my $5 gas barbie bailed my ass out when my little pocket of homes in Marin County lost power for 4 days. And I was smack dab in the middle of the 'burbs. Not in the hills. Everyone else around us had power. It was a 20 minute job to fix it. But it took 4 days.

Comment

Just make sure the grill doesn't explode on ya: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=4509171
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The only thing that exploded on me was an air tire changer. I should be dead. Here's what happened. When I was going through college, I worked as a tire changer at Monkey Wards. This guy brought in a rim and wanted the tire put on. OK. Well, me and another guy got the tire on the rim. But the bead didn't pop. We put 140lbs of air into it. I'm not sure why we looked away, but the whole thing exploded. It took the rim with tire and the shaft of the machine to the roof and back. Nobody was hurt. That one second of us both backing off saved our lives. So don't give me any stuff about barbies blowing up. I did learn a valuable lesson. But it didn't follow me when I walked off a cliff, literally.

Comment

Fett, not to get too technical here, but if 140 psi in that tire extracted the center shaft from the tire machine.....well, I'd think the manufacturer of that machine should be in big doodoo huh?
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have this and a Weber. All bases are covered.

Comment

Scroll down to the fourth one. Hmmm....hemi powered......

Our editors have compiled a list of the 'Top 5 Strangest (or Coolest) Outdoor Gadgets' for your enjoyment. Which ones are your favorites? 5. Forecasting UmbrellaJust glance at the handle and if it's pulsing blue light you'll know to bring it along. We're talking about Ambient Device's 'Forecasting Umbrella'. The latest local weather reports are delivered to the umbrella via Ambient's proprietary network so you'll never be caught in the rain again empty handed. It's simple yet practical and something that we'd definitely consider buying. 4. NOS Powered Lawn Mower V2MowZilla, successor to the original NOS Powered Lawn Mower, features
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'll echo two things about grilling steaks (one bit me this weekend because I was in a rush):

1 - Room temperature - take them steaks out of the fridge for a good hour, hour and a half to let them come up

2 - Tongs. Never poke or stab your meat. Forks and spatulas are for sissies - if its on the grill use tongs to move it around.

Everything else is to taste. Here's my steak recipe:

Steak - Good prime porterhouse, strip or ribeye with the bone (as far as I'm concerned - these are the only cuts of steak)
                            Seasoning - pinch each of fresh ground pepper and kosher salt - both sides and let it sit
                            Grill - hot as you can get it, put the meat over the hottest section and let that sucker grill for 4-6 minutes. Don't flip it. When the top side is grey for two minutes, you're done.

Results in a scorched top and purple inside. Its as close to a steakhouse black and blue I can get.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                              Wagner Char-King Imperiale
                              Alot of you are going to be putting Strickland propane out of biz.

Quite a few differing techniques here but great base of advice. I'm going to have to convert a old gas weber into charcoal. Gas is much like a stove outside.. we had our stove off for a week and I did all the cooking on the grill..gas with water soaked wood as smoke flavor isn't bad. I use wood chip indoors in a pan for smoked scallops sometimes..a bit messy tho.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                                Fett, not to get too technical here, but if 140 psi in that tire extracted the center shaft from the tire machine.....well, I'd think the manufacturer of that machine should be in big doodoo huh?
                                No, most tire manufacturers warn (w/an attached label) to never exceed xxpsi while trying to seat a bead. I used to work in a tire shop as well and it can be pretty scary stuff when a tire refuses to seat. I'd personally never go above 70-80psi on a p-metric tire.

Comment

Working...
                                X