auto insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto insurance

So what company do you guys get your insurance from? I'm about to buy a car and have everyone else in my family switch because we're currently getting screwed over (based on online quotes from some of the big name companies).
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

I own an insurance agency but I can't insure anyone outside of MD or DC. However, I can give you my best advice. Insurance rates are based on multiple factors. Just because your buddy "says" he pays one rate doesn't mean you will get the same rate. Many people think they know about insurance but in reality they know very little. Be very leary of on-line quotes and companies that are strictly on-line. If you ever need help - good luck. On-line quotes are usually not very accurate. I'm not saying it's a bait and switch deal but lets just say it's usually not accurate. My advice - talk to a good neighbor in person (hint hint).
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I use amex insurance thru costco. Pay 75% less then I was paying with allstate or state farm. And they bill my credit card on a monthly basis with no added fees. Best deal yet. Its about half the price of geico who claim to be the cheapest.

Comment

Trust me on this - You get what you pay for with insurance. There is a whole lot more than meets the eye than just paying the most rock bottom rate. Not all companies write business in all states. If you have never needed your insurance company that's great. But if you ever do, you better be with a good one and hope you have good coverage. Boy, I could tell you guys stories that would make your heads spin. You would look at insurance in a whole new light.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Geico. Their rates are pretty good and they are very easy to deal with if you ever have a claim.

Comment

I am currently using Allstate. It's pretty good, as I get a discount for having both renter's and auto insurance with them. The only downside is that my wife had back-to-back accidents last year, so our rates went up as I expected.

When I first got off my parents' insurance (Farmers) after college, I went through an independent agency. I was on Progressive through them for a couple years, until they found another company that would give me a better deal. Unfortunately, the one time I did have an accident and called my "indie" agent, he was completely worthless. It was no reflection of the actual insurance company, just the agent, but it really pissed me off.
            sigpic

Comment

I use AIG for my automobile insurance. We used to buy from State Farm, but I was able to double my coverage for a few hundred less each 6 months. My wife has a retirement annuity through AIG, and that is how we heard about them. They had super competitive rates, especially considering we live in the insurance hell of West Virginia.

Comment

I use Ameriprise (formerly American Express) thru Costco.

When I bought my new house I got a deal on auto/home insurance. I called up every major company: Farmers, State Farm, Allstate, etc. Got about 8 quotes. The Ameriprise quote was far less than the others. So far I've only had to use them for a windsheild replacement and their service was stellar. I believe they're on the East Coast (I'm in California) and I never had a problem with them, even when signing up.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat
                  I own an insurance agency but I can't insure anyone outside of MD or DC. However, I can give you my best advice. Insurance rates are based on multiple factors. Just because your buddy "says" he pays one rate doesn't mean you will get the same rate. Many people think they know about insurance but in reality they know very little. Be very leary of on-line quotes and companies that are strictly on-line. If you ever need help - good luck. On-line quotes are usually not very accurate. I'm not saying it's a bait and switch deal but lets just say it's usually not accurate. My advice - talk to a good neighbor in person (hint hint).
                  You are right about the online companies and getting them to pay. I had to go toe to toe with All-State and had to sick my "Good Neighbor" on them after they refused to accept anything over 60% responsibility when someone pulled out into my lane and hit me. After a subregation ruling, they had to accept 100% responsibility. State Farm really went to bat for me taking photo's of the scene and stuck it to All State.

Comment

Insurance is one of those things that you can't just look at the cost and compare - a lot of time the cost is cheaper, but you don't have all the coverage and additional items - like window coverage, rental if your car has to be in the shop. Lot at the different options you want and what you need to fulfill the state requirements.

There are a lot of details that go into those prices - including where you live and how much you use your vehicle. Do lots of research.

You can find someone with a horror story about every insurance company and someone else with a story about how wonderful they are.

Just always be sure to check all the coverage - and that goes for all kinds of insurance!

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear
                      State Farm really went to bat for me taking photo's of the scene and stuck it to All State.
                      Thank you! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Comment

I have drive insurance from progressive. Haven't had any problems, but I also haven't had any accidents or tickets. But I'm still paying a lot cause I was a dumbass and got a DUI about 4 years ago. And what's with insurance going down when you turn 25? I just did, and my payments are the same? Is it because the policy is in my wife's name?
                        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

I work in the body shop business and have been in the auto business for near 30 years.
                          My advice do like MikeStrat said and talk to a good neighbor.
                          Both of my cars and my house are with State Farm. I'm lucky that I have never needed to use it but doing what I do they are the best to work with on an automobile claim hands down.
                          I can't really speak to how cheep or not the coverage is I won't use anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles
                            I have drive insurance from progressive. Haven't had any problems, but I also haven't had any accidents or tickets. But I'm still paying a lot cause I was a dumbass and got a DUI about 4 years ago. And what's with insurance going down when you turn 25? I just did, and my payments are the same? Is it because the policy is in my wife's name?
                            I thought it was 24? You can call you agent and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear
                              I thought it was 24? You can call you agent and ask.
                              Most insurance companies do 25 and when you get married for men. But you have to be the insured or at least have your name on the policy.

When it comes to price and customer service - State Farm will willingly admit their prices are generally higher than others, but they pride themselves on having great customer services and quick responses when you need them. I worked for State Farm (Corporate Offices in Bloomington for 6 years).

Insurance is often one of those things that you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                              X