R.I.P. Clyde Holly of the band "Biloxi"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Clyde Holly of the band "Biloxi"

I am heartbroken to say that my best friend, Clyde Holly, singer and guitarist for the band "Biloxi", passed away in his sleep early Sunday, September 10.

Clyde and I were best friends for 33 years, we met as teenagers learning to play guitars. He was a world-class singer and guitar player, and with his band "Biloxi", named for the main town here at home, made two excellent CDs, "Let the Games Begin" and "Right The Music". He was the original producer and manager for 3 Doors Down and the CD he produced for them is what got them their record deal.

Besides being probably the best singer I've ever heard and a great guitarist too, Clyde was the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet. He would help anybody he could because he loved people. He is already horribly missed and will be deeply mourned by anybody who knew him.

I got to see him play a show with his duo partner Geoffrey Cowart Saturday night, and helped them haul the gear back to the wstudio. I left him at about 3AM and am glad I went out to see him play that night. As always he kicked ass and so did Geoffrey.

You can go to www.biloximusic.com to read the obituary and for a link to express condolences. Some of you may recall I lost my brother Steve about 2 years ago. Clyde was as close to me as my own brother and it hasn't sunk in yet, but he was a great musician and his passing should be noted on this site because of that. He loved Gibsons and Hamers best but back in the day owned a San Dimas Student Rhoads in white!

Clyde, I will always love you, my friend.
    Last edited by lerxstcat; 09-13-2006, 11:42 AM.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your best mate, Rich. I can only imagine how devastated you must feel.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Man, I am sorry to hear this. You have my condolences, bro.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

So sorry bro. You are in my thoughts.

Comment

Thanks guys.

It's funny, Clyde put the first Biloxi Cd out in the early 90s. I used to love to set people up, when they were talking about singers. I'd say, "Oh, you think Geoff Tate has a great voice? My friend smokes that guy!"

Of course people always thought I was nuts, until I put that CD on and they heard him. Then they knew it was true. He loved Steve Perry and Steve Walsh of Kansas and he could smoke both of those guys too. He sang extremely cleanly, a guy with an opera voice singing rock. He had the projection of a Pavarotti. Played guitar a lot like Neal Schon. That ain't a bad thing all by itself.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My thoughts are with you, brother...
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sorry to hear, Rich.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Rich-WTF???
                I met Clyde at the Atlanta International Guitar show & Blues Festival in 2003.I was there as an atrist doing a promo for Jim Nunis guitars. He was walking by back to his both and heard me playing and he was like cool a true player we need to talk. So I took a break and we headed over to his booth. Jammed on his rack and guitars he had for sale man we talked for a long while about his band and his studio-(Holly House-I think?). He was looking at doing a japan gig soon and was in search of a guitarist to join his band. I think he was looking for an overseas distributor as well-God I can't believe this?? Man he was such a great guy to hang and talk with!! We laughed about the old days in Cali-trying to make it. I met his girlfriend or maybe his future wife with him that day and he introduced me as his new guitar player that was going overseas with them. Well anyway he gave me his new cd and said check it out and email me at my website-Man you were not kidding I put in the cd and Out in the streets came on and I was like HELL YES!! a real singer/musician/producer!! He also did a wonderful cover of-Have you ever seen the rain-He had a Great voice and a great guitarist at that. I think the other cd was a compilation cd that he did every year not sure?? Dammitt man I can't believe this I will not sleep tonight after hearing the news of his passing Well I know Clyde is on the boat writing another Great song!! Rip my friend-You will be Greatly missed!! My prayers and thought are with his family & friends.
                Last edited by charveljunkie; 09-11-2006, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Wow, good friends are hard to find, I am sorry..
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Rich, I just read this and want to offer my sympathies for the loss of your friend. Sometimes losing a dear friend can be more painful than losing a family member. My thoughts are with you.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that Rich..my condolences go out to you as well as all Clydes family and friends
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words. I can't believe it still.

Tony (Charveljunkie) and I had a wonderful conversation last night. As you can see from his post, he met my frriend Clyde at an Atlanta guitar show. They spent basically one afternoon together. A deal for a Japan tour Clyde was working on at the time fell through, or Tony might well have been
                        living here on the coast and one of mione and Clyde's newer best friends. His playing caught Clyde's ear and they hit it off.

I can't tell you how much it means to me that another of our JCF brothers actually knew my friend Clyde, even though it means he shares my pain. He also knows just what a sweet guy Clyde was, and how extremely talented he was as well. In a just world his band would've been bigger than Journey, but Clyde would've valued the respect of fellow musicians the most. Tony, your words are a huge comfort to me, even though I am numb. I will remember what you said when this really hits me later.

God bless you, and God bless Kip as well. We were both lucky to have such friends, many people never do. Friends who taught us how good life can be.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Details for Clyde's visitation and funeral service are:

The visitation and funeral service will both be held at Riemann Funeral Home on Beauvoir Road in Biloxi, just south of Pass Road on the east side of the road. Visitation will be Friday, September 15 from 5-9 PM. An additional visitation will be held Saturday, September 16 from 11AM-2PM, and at 2 the funeral service will be held. The interment will probably be held in Wiggins, MS which is where the family's roots were.

I know this is information that's not practical for most of you, but if any JCFers are from this area or visiting, this man was one of us. In my talk with Tony last night he actually compared Clyde to Randy Rhoads in being such a nice guy when he briefly met him. He may not have been a member of this forum, but as a musician he was a member of this brotherhood.
                          Last edited by lerxstcat; 09-13-2006, 03:39 AM.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Sorry for your loss,Rich.Our prayers are with you..........................
                            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

bump
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X