Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible animal cruelty across the street, need advise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible animal cruelty across the street, need advise...

Alright so Ive bought my house about a year and a half ago. Across the street is a house that has been vacant for atleast that long, and from what Ive heard from my neighbors, even a year before I moved in.

People pretty much take good care of the houses around here... except the one across the street from me. The house and property look like shit, the front "cannopy" is falling down, the roof is fucked up, shit in the yard, a Saturn that hasnt moved ever... just looks horrible. But the worst part is the two little dogs that live there.

Apparently an old lady lived there... she had two dogs, and I can only guess that whe she died she actually willed the house to the dogs until they die. So people come once a day for about 5 minutes, feed them and let them out in the yard for literally 2-3 minutes and thats it. Thats no life for an animal IMHO. Sometimes you can see them in the main window barking and looking out, and I really feel bad for them. One time last year when the tree fell on my pool during the wind storm, their front door kept blowing open (that tells you the shape of the house) so I went over to close it, and the poor things were just coweing in the corner.

Is there anything that can be done? Isnt it illegal to leave animals alone like that? I was thinking of calling the SPCA or what ever, but I want to make sure: a- what theyre doing is illegal, and b- that the dogs would be put into a shelter up for adoption, not killed.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

For sure call your local animal control office....you might get a recording though, maybe go down to the office in person.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Call the non emergency number for your local police department for ask for advise. They will be able to point you in the right direction or department that will be able to handle it.

-Nate
      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Call your local police ..tell them it's a non-emergency.

They will respond.. confer with them on scene if you can, and advise them of the situation.

At that time they will advise radio to make the animal protective contacts..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh my goodness..I didn't read Nate's post..yep, that'll do it..

good job!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR
            a Saturn that hasnt moved ever...
            I'd ask why you bought across from a vacant house, but that's not the point.

I've seen you chop up cars....

Comment

Hey I only chop up cars at friends houses! Besides, I just had a new 20x40 driveway put in... no way Im cutting up a car on that! (ok, maybe not for a couple months )

I actually didnt know it was vacant... it doesent exactly look vacant, they have the lawn cut every week and all. The house just really needs to be fixed up nice like the rest of ours.

Anyway, I got ahold of the SPCA (I think) and theyre having an investigator contact me and we'll go from there. Will keep updates on the situation.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

You are a good guy Rob. Thanks for looking out for those dogs.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Good for you.
                  Anybody can look the other way.
                  I hate to see any kind of animal abuse.
                  If you get a dog, cat or whatever, take care of it.
                  I know that is a lot to ask of...
                  People suck

Comment

sounds like you need the RSPCA (or whatever you have in the US) to take care of the dogs. once sorted out, they can be re-housed with a family who can actually look after them properly. chances are the house is a health hazard (if it looks crap outside, wtf about the INSIDE?!). the board of health may need to condemn it and knock it down for something better, if not do it up and sell it on.
                    Last edited by wilkinsi; 09-11-2006, 11:13 PM.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I would find a no-kill shelter and try to get them involved. If they go to a city shelter (depending on city ) their chances of makng it out are slim.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer84
                        I would find a no-kill shelter and try to get them involved. If they go to a city shelter (depending on city ) their chances of makng it out are slim.
                        Absolutely. Especially if they haven't been properly socialized in over a year. Those little dogs are probably not super "warm" and "cuddly" right now, so it might be a while before someone adopts them.

Also, there are laws in some states that allow / require the humane society to donate animals to test labs. It depends on your city and state, but if you live in Indy like I do and the whole town is run by Lilly (the company that makes Prozac - BIG pharma) you can garauntee that less than 10 miles from where I sit, some dog or cat is being skinned alive, given cancer, or pumped full of chemicals.

Comment

Working...
                        X