wooo my first car!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooo my first car!!

hey all i just got my first car today! my parents bought me a used saturn sl2. since they gave my older sister a car they had to get me one too. im going to pay the insurance and gas for it though. i got to drive it home from work tonight and man i love it! i cant wait to really drive it more tomorrow i have no school

Congrats!!!!!! Enjoy and be safe.

Comment

That's cool man. I just got my first car last Wednesday, it's a used Nissan Sentra. There was a Saturn at the place I bought the Sentra from, not sure of the model, that I was also considering, but didn't end up getting it since it had around 120k miles on it and was only 4 years old. I wish I could say I had no school tommorrow, but instead for me, I have no work tommorrow.
      If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

What year Saturn?
        My wife has a 94 SL2. 100600 miles on it.
        I love the plastic door skins. No dents yet.
        Been through 3 batteries, 2 Aternators.
        Make sure you have fresh spark plugs in it.
        They are also known to have a bad design on the thermostat.
        If the temp gauge shows hot while driving,
        turn on your AC to start the Ratator fan, it cools pretty quick after that.
        There is no fix for the bad theromstat.
        Other than that it has been a pretty good car.
        Good luck.
        Finn

Comment

Ah, the good old days. I remember my first car. 1967 RS Camaro. Lotsa fun in that car. There are still 20 year old seeds and stuff in the ash tray! I will drive it again, some day. My 16 year old son thinks Im giving it to him. Nice try, not happenin!!

Comment

haha its a 99 sl2 with 52000 miles on it. bought used for $4700. everything seems to be fine with it. ill remember the tip about the ac though finnman. oh and i dont have work today either and im fixing to head up to gutiar center with my mom this is kick ass!

Comment

Originally posted by slayer32390
              hey all i just got my first car today! my parents bought me a used saturn sl2. :
              Can't go wrong with an sl2!!
              I love admins!

Comment

Congrats... I had a Saturn SL2 too. Very safe cars. I rolled mine over and walked away from the accident. Also, watch out for the battery and alternator like finnman suggested... I had to replace both after about 2 years.

Comment

congrats! I just bought a 98 sl2 love it . I traded in my 95 sl with 187,000 Miles on it. I only replaced the battery, the fan motor, and the clutch in the 5 years I had in it. Great cars. I put 97,000 miles on it my self. Take care of it and it will run forever.

Comment

Congrats. Now you need a Jackson SL2 to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                      Congrats. Now you need a Jackson SL2 to go with it.
                      there was one of those at GC today but it was too high up on the wall for me to bother i played an rr5 and a kelly pro and a dk2m. loved all of them rr5 in ivory/black pinstripes is next on my list

Comment

Originally posted by slayer32390
                        there was one of those at GC today but it was too high up on the wall for me to bother i played an rr5 and a kelly pro and a dk2m. loved all of them rr5 in ivory/black pinstripes is next on my list
                        You found a GC that actually has a USA Jackson?:ROTF:
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

yea it was used though so it wasnt really theirs....

Comment

My moms got one a 98 sl2, someone backed into her passengers door a couple years ago tweaking the door and breaking the window, I bought a 90 (parts car) at auction for 350 bucks. it only had minor rear end damage but florida designates any car 4 years old or more involved in any kind of wreck that insurance company totals them out to be designated as non rebuildable, so I fixed her car and took the other one and half assed it back together and we use it as a "rally racer" here on the farm, my buddies bring their kids over her to get some experience driving, they just have a ball, they are safe little cars a very good choice for a first car, congrats,
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I had a 1993 SL2 way back that was ok, so I bought another after turning in my gas guzzling Z71 Silverado after the 5 year lease was up.

I bought a 1997 SL2 in May 2004 with 143K for $2350, fully loaded. I'm up to 195K and still get 39MPG. This was supposed to be a throw away car but it just won't die. Maybe I should get some nitrous?

Same issues mentioned above; since I've had it, I've replaced alternator $250, starter $300, brakes $770 (4 new rotors) and tires $300. Eats oil at the rate of 1 qt per 1000 miles. I'm not sure if I have overheating issues, but the tip with the AC does work turning on the fan if you are stuck in traffic. You do not want to overheat - if you warp the aluminum head then nothing but troubles. put in new spark plugs at 150K and replaced them at 190K. They were in great shape (no oil fouling like I thought I would find), but the electodes were .060 from wear and tear. Stock gap is .040, so I'll change at 30K miles next time. BE CAREFUL! Aluminum heads strip out, use thread anti-seize stuff. Working on the Saturn is a breeze as far as tune ups. If I wasn't so lazy I'd have done all the work myself and saved some dough.

Some ass with a Jeep Liberty hit me on the fwy a year ago. Very slight damage to the right front, so I pocketed the $1300 from his insurance. I'm hoping more people will hit me so that I can buy more guitars.

When you factor how much my payments have been over the past 28 months, the low insurance and great gas milage, this car has been a great deal.

Go to www.fueleconomy.gov - I've been entering my gas milage into their database for my 1997 Saturn.

Comment

Working...
                              X