Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja
    1985 Mercedes S500
    No such thing. MB in the 80s used a number letter designation, ie, 500SEL.

(If that seller doesn't even know what the model is, avoid.)

S500s started in 1994 and are a newer body style.

MBs from the 80s actually last quite a while but you should look for one that has been maintained with all recpts.

Also, have you checked into insurance costs? I'm sure for a V8 Benz it will be quite high for a young man like yourself.

Also #2: V8 Benz will not return a high MPG.

Also #3: IIRC 500 cars (5.0 liter V8) were gray market cars so I recommend avoiding a mid 80s 500SEL or 500SE
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I bought my wife a '94 SL500 Convertible, it was a pisser to drive, but it cost a bundle in check ups, repairs, etc. etc. etc.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Liked the SEC series better, more sporty, 4-doors yuck!

Comment

the SL600 and you're playing the ultimate in hardball. I liked the one I got for my ex-wife, it fit her pretty well.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
            No such thing. MB in the 80s used a number letter designation, ie, 500SEL.

(If that seller doesn't even know what the model is, avoid.)

S500s started in 1994 and are a newer body style.

MBs from the 80s actually last quite a while but you should look for one that has been maintained with all recpts.

Also, have you checked into insurance costs? I'm sure for a V8 Benz it will be quite high for a young man like yourself.

Also #2: V8 Benz will not return a high MPG.

Also #3: IIRC 500 cars (5.0 liter V8) were gray market cars so I recommend avoiding a mid 80s 500SEL or 500SE
            I see... I guess I should avoid it. I'm 21 and never caused a accident or got a ticket so my insurance actually went down.

I guess the Benz is a dead choice. Has anyone ever experienced a Volvo 240 or 740 from the 80's? I really like this car. I saw one in Red with a Beige/Tan interior and I fell in love. Has that old look that I love. Should I start a new thread :P

Comment

Originally posted by SGplayer
              Liked the SEC series better, more sporty, 4-doors yuck!

Thats so awesome.

Here is that car I want.

Last edited by ApeDosMil; 09-15-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

That's an old dried up Volva. What's so good about them?
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I love the looks of them and I've been reading up that their engines are pretty solid and parts are not that expensive.

Comment

MM, I gotta tell you. You have odd taste in cars for a 20 something y/o guy.:ROTF:

That's not a bad thing and I am not bashing you. Just that most guys your age want a hot 2 door pussy magnet. That Volvo will score low on the poontang meter.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja
                      Thats so awesome.

Here is that car I want.

http://s87151159.onlinehome.us/alexw...serialNumber=2
                      Like driving a Swedish Brick

Comment

I have several Volvos the 240 series in my opinion is a better car than the 740, the early eighties up till 87 had wiring problems in the engine compartment the insulation would deteriorate when exposed to oil for extended time and melt the starter/charging circuits, 92 and 93 240s are
                        your best best, airbag, antilock etc. for less than 2 grand or even less than a grand sometimes you can find some sweet ones out there.

the car in your link would be a 79 to 85 model, I have a black 79 with 92 wiring and drive train, still looks good, as well as a 92 wagon that I use for work and moving gear, The wagon is the hot ticket, a poor mans SUV, you're not going to impress anyone driving a volvo, so get one you can get the most use out of

Its just sheets of styrofoam but these suckers are tanks
                        Last edited by FusionFarmer; 09-15-2006, 06:43 PM.
                        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
                          MM, I gotta tell you. You have odd taste in cars for a 20 something y/o guy.:ROTF:

That's not a bad thing and I am not bashing you. Just that most guys your age want a hot 2 door pussy magnet. That Volvo will score low on the poontang meter.
                          Ya I guess... lol, I don't really care for those hot youth cars right now. About the only one I really want is my friends 11 second Neon SRT 4. Other than that I love the boxy 80's cars like I've said.

Thanks FusionFarmer, I'll keep a look out on those then.

Comment

I've driven both a 90 240 and a 87 740 and I must say I like these old Volvos - don't get me wrong, step on the gas and they have trouble getting out of their own way - sluggish to say the least. Tanks, though. Be prepared for lots of chassis rust problems depending on where you live. Also, everything electronic in the 740 seems to go - overdrive, lights, windows - everything.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

I love all of these comments from the peanut gallery. As the (second) owner of a 20-year old Benz: they're one hell of a car and if they've been maintained at all they're extremely reliable. Mine is *NEVER* in the shop for anything more severe than an oil change but then again I, and the previous owners, treat(ed) her with respect. One of the best things about her is that even after 20 years the paint and leather look damn near like new, significantly better than any ricer burner will after even its first decade. Mine's a 420SEL which gets 23 MPG on the highway and costs almost nothing in taxes and insurance (but I'm over 30 so YMMV on the latter part).

As far as mechanicals go you need to be a little wary of the transmissions, if the previous owner hot-rodded the hell out of the car you might have some issues. Another common problem is dried seals which happens when the car is parked for long periods of time and driven only every few months. Beyond that they're stupid solid cars and will run forever will just a little care.
                              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Wait a min.................. That Car goes for 7K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buy a Vette and fuck a stripper
                                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                                X