Cliff Burton...20 years gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cliff Burton...20 years gone.

It's hard to believe it has been twenty years since Cliff died. I remember getting to school and hearing the guys talking about his accident and not wanting to believe it. I think there was six or eight of us that just bailed on our classes that day to mourn the man. We parked our cars at the beach and cranked up our Metallica cassettes, drank some beer and felt pretty damn sad.

He was one of my heroes and a huge inspiration. If anyone had the pleasure of seeing Cliff on stage you can attest to his genius and impact. Much respect.

RIP
    Tarbaby Fraser.

I hadn't thought it had been that long. I had gone to see Ozzy and Metallica opened for him. That was in like june of that year. I had listened to em before but after that I really started getting into Metallica. Like you I heard about it at school and was fairly bummed the whole day.

Comment

Wow..doesn't seem that long. Bummer.

Comment

I saw them open for Ozzy as well.At the time,I was really not too familliar with them at all.I remember this little kid there,he was between 7 and 9 years old. He was running around,head bangin',and knew the lyrics to EVERY song they played.

When Cliff did hid solo,I was litterally frozen in place.I had never heard a bass played like that before.

The next afternoon,I bought all three Metallica cassettes.It didn't take long to wear them out,either.We spent many afternoons tossing a frizbee and downing bottles of whatever...

When the news came that he was gone,I had really thought that was the end of Metallica,and I couldn't help but wonder,yet again,what we were robbed of..

Well,I was right about the end of Metallica,I just didn't think there would be three more albums first....
        Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I remember that day very well... 20 years.....damn.

Comment

RIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_wGFfrJv4Y
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I wasn't a fan of his solos at all..but he put a lot of great writing and fire into that band and seemed to live and bleed metal..

a great metal icon indeed..he earned his stripes..

RIP Cliff
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cliff sure was one of a kind. I was just starting to get into Kill Um All when he died. Can't say I was the biggest fan of that album but when everyone wanted to play it I never told them otherwise. Then I heard Ride the Lightning and that got me hooked. I even liked the Black album but nothing after that.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                  Cliff sure was one of a kind. I was just starting to get into Kill Um All when he died. Can't say I was the biggest fan of that album but when everyone wanted to play it I never told them otherwise. Then I heard Ride the Lightning and that got me hooked. I even liked the Black album but nothing after that.

Matt
                  +1 to that. I was 21 when he died and was getting into Ride the Lightning, that's some badass shit. killed in a tour bus accident. fuck.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

What's really sad is that there was no mention of this date on the Metallica website. What a shame that everybody but his bandmates have thought to remember this day.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

That is sad. RIP Cliff...
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                        What's really sad is that there was no mention of this date on the Metallica website. What a shame that everybody but his bandmates have thought to remember this day.
                        I doubt that's true. I mean come on, how can they NOT think of Cliff.

The past is the past; it stays there if you leave it there. Sometimes you just have to let the dead die, know what I mean?
                        Guitars:
                        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                        Amp:
                        VOX AD30VT

Comment

20 years? Fucking hell, time flies and all that.
                          I saw Metallica with Cliff about a week before he died, spent the gig just in front of him, and he never stopped banging his head, he was mental! Possibly one of the best gigs I have seen, despite James Hetfield not playing guitar, his roadie was filling in for him because of a broken wrist.

Surely the band will acknowledge the anniversary, after all they've been playing Master of Puppets right through at recent shows to mark that release. To deny a serious nod to Cliff would be major error in my book.
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                            The past is the past; it stays there if you leave it there. Sometimes you just have to let the dead die, know what I mean?

What, let the dead die, but keep on playing their songs, the songs that put you where you are today? I think not! Play the songs, pay the respects due publically, appease people like me who look at Metallica and think they disappeared up their own arse long ago.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

WTF???? They pretty much deticated the whole last tour to Cliff (this year), and kept his legacy alive. No need to mention it every day people. Get over it.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X