No announcement yet.

Discovered a new beer last weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationally, I'd say british beers, Scottish ales are great as well, then Czech/German Pilsners... and of course Guiness, Samueal Smith, and Murphys... I actually love Porters as well (Sammy Smith Taddy Porter and Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter) but there was this one Czech or German beer I tried that has been brewed since like 1500 AD?? I had it at some German foodhouse here.. it was an INCREDIBLE Pilsner.. just can't pronounce or spell the name.. next time I'm back there, I'll get a copy of the menu...
    Any beer experts here?

Comment

Black Wych is my all time favourite.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Boddingtons #1
        Dos XX amber
        Bud Ice
        Sam Adams
        Yuengling (can't seem to get it here in TX)

Gotta be my five favorites

I like
        Dos XX green bottle w/a lime
        Shiner bock on occasion
        Bavaria when on a budget
        Chimay with Pizza
        Miller light, Bud light, or Busch with sports/at games
        Tsing Tao or Amstel light on those days I am feeling dainty/Asian (Kirin Ichiban is plan B on those days just cause it's asian/canadian)

I will not drink Canadian beer. I still need to go up north and try one because in TX, Moosehead(piss) and Labaat's and Lowenbrau (haven't seen it in a while) taste like skunky armpits. Asparagus/Broccoli dehydrated pee. I don't know what happens to it in transit bc is it can't be that bad to Canadaians.

Aaarrgggghhh! Gotta keep me eye out fer a Piraat me hearty
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I can't believe I left out Scottish beer. Great stuff, McEwan's! Yeah.

I like to have the local area and state beers here in Buffalo, Saranac, Flying Bison, even the Genessee Brewery's 12 Horse.

But I drink two California beers regularly, Boon ESB and Anchor Steam.

My favorite are the British ESBs, especially Fuller's.

As for Yuengling, I spent a few years in Central PA. That is one massively overrated beer, IMO. In PA, it is kind of frowned upon. Rolling Rock has a better rep, and that's coming from a state that still brews Iron City (yech). Try this next time you drink Yuengling. Pay close attention the next morning. Are you gassy? Are you farting up a storm? Yep, that's Yuengling.

In PA, we used to drive through the distributor (we called them Packy's in Conn.), drop off a case of empty Yuengling bottles (get a $1 refund) and buy the new case of 16 ouncers for $10. Yep, you heard it, $9 for 24 bottles of 16 ounce Yuengling. This was in the mid 90s. Now, you know they simply wash out the beer bottles and pour the new beer in. Maybe that's what accounts for the gas?

Comment

Been drinking a lot of Sam Smith's lately, the Oatmeal Stout. Good stuff. That and Yuengling Black and Tan. Rogue Dead Guy Ale is pretty good too, kinda has a Bass flavor too it with some bite. The only pilsner I'll drink anymore is PBR. I can't stand bud/coors/miller, any of that. People put PBR in the same category as Natty Ice/Busch/Milwaukee's Beast, but it's damn good beer. And at 5 dollars a 12 pack, I'm happy. Now if only we could get Scrumpy Jack or Strongbow in the states.
            EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Tasted a Sierra Nevada out in California. Pretty good stuff
              Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

At 9%, you'd misspell "Pirate" too. That's way to strong for me.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                  Quoted for irony. What beer are you drinking this afternoon, Fett?

-a

PS. The version I tried was 10.5%!

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
                    Been drinking a lot of Sam Smith's lately, the Oatmeal Stout. Good stuff.
                    I REALLY need to try some of this ... it's been recommended to me more than a few times!

-a

Comment

Natural Ice (5.9). 2 and out.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Samuel Smith's is one of my favorite brewers. Never tasted anything of theirs that wasn't great. Around the holidays, look for their Winter Welcome. I always try to get some every year. I usually stick to US microbrews, because it's easier to be sure it's not old & skunky from sitting warm for a long time. I love all kinds of imports, especially from Belgium, but there's nothing worse than shelling out too much $$ for a great imported brew & having it taste bad because it wasn't handled right. One import that blew my socks off recently was Coopers from Australia. A friend of ours taught over there for a semester & came back raving about it. We finally found it & tried 3 of the bottle-fermented ales. All of them kick ass, but go for over $10 a six pack. Ouch. Some of my favorite microbrews off the top of my head:

anything by Sierra Nevada
                        Brooklyn Brown & Pennant Ale
                        Breckenridge Avalanche
                        Legend Pilsner, IPA, & Brown (brewmaster/co-owner was my neighbor years ago)
                        Magic Hat #9
                        Abita Purple Haze & Turbodog (they also make awesome rootbeer!)

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                          "Piraat" is the Dutch word for pirate Arrrrrrrrr! (rolling the Rs)
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Belgian beer: West-Vleteren or Blue Chimay

Best beers on earth, I drink the crappy foreign stuff.
                            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

My favorite beer is Innis & Gunn from Scotland.

Get the Innis & Gunn experience by tasting our uniquely-brewed beers, checking out our quality merch, and visiting our breweries and taprooms across Scotland.

Comment

OMG ... I just went to Beverages & More for the first time ever. Why hasn't anyone told me about this store before????

My spoils:

w00t!

-a

Comment

Working...
                                X