negativeland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• negativeland

NSFW (language) - The Casey Kasem / U2 thing. Negativeland did some great stuff.

Puppet re-enacts Casey's rant about U2 and going into an "up-tempo" song after reading a sad "Long Distance Dedication". Audio was plucked from the "Negative...

if I were a true fan I'd know how to spell their name right...
    Last edited by Tashtego; 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM.

Heh
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Negativland ... It's just pronounced like you would expect .... Negative Land.

These guys are great. They actually did a speaking-tour and came around to my university a few years back.
      I got some help from them when I had some copyright issues come up with a piece of digital art I did in college.
      Their story is really great.

-a
      Last edited by HoWheels; 10-06-2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I have their album, they are great.

The funny thing is, Kasem was absolutely right. Who cares what their nicknames are? And that filler music sucked. And then he's supposed to take a request for a dead dog?

Man, talking puppets is right. people make these talking heads jobs seem glamorous but they're just up there spouting off the producer/writer's bullshit.

Comment

I have that U2 CD somewhere as well as Guns and Escape from Noise. This clip with the sock puppet is somewhat toned down. Kasem goes off on his staff really badly. The release of the tape must have been their revenge. Escape from Noise is my favorite Negativland CD. There are actually pretty good / polished videos on youtube for Guns and a treament of one of the 'hit' songs off Escape. Here is the Guns video:

I'd rather let the interested find the other on their own.

"Bursting forth with gigantic grains of goodness!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
            I Here is the Guns video:

I got a stiffy watching that.

That was the intended effect, right?

Comment

Comment

They forgot a scene that would have fit very well. It's from the 1971 film "Dirty Harry"

Scorpio orders Harry (at gunpoint) to remove his .44 Magnum.
                Harry slowly does so. Scorpio exclaims, almost lovingly: "My, that's a big one!"

Homo/gun/eroticism reaches its zenith!

Comment

I had that on vinyl years ago. If you like negativland, you might like the Evolution Contol Committee.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

that is some funny shit

Comment

You're right, that Dirty Harry scene would be a perfect addition.

I'll have to check out the Evolution Contol Committee. I think you might be the only other JCF'r who digs old time industrial. Do you have any Throbbing Gristle stuff too? Someone pointed out to me that they are back in business except that Genesis is now a tranny or some such foolishness.

Comment

Never was into Throbbing Gristle. Always liked Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly though. ECC is just plain strange. I wouldn't even call them industrial. More like experimental. If you can ever find anything by Violence And The Sacred, they are also worth checking out. Very odd indeed.
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                        X