Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One guitar or two guitars in a band... what do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One guitar or two guitars in a band... what do you prefer?

I was wondering if you guys prefer to play in a band with one guitar or two guitars? We have had a lot of trouble finding a 2nd guitarist. After listening to our music for a while, I am starting to think that having only one guitar is not such a bad thing. Sure there are some things we can not do live like harmonies and stuff but with a good bassist, good sound guy, and good tone, I think having one guitar can sound pretty damn good. I guess to me, it depends on the kind of music you play. I would definately like to have another guitarist but he (or she for that matter) would have to be tighter than a dolphin's butthole with the rest of us.

What do you guys prefer and why?

PS... this is my 1000th post!
    Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 10-08-2006, 08:10 AM.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

2 guitar bands sound better than 1 guitar bands (without a keyboard player) live unless you play songs that have no guitar solos.

Comment

I am a big fan of 1 guitar bands, with just a drummer, a bassist and a guitarist (no keys). There is more space for each musician to fill, which leads to creative, interesting music. A good bassist can provide a great backing for your solos, and you can use effects for harmonies.

Comment

it has pros and cons, but I prefer to be in a band with two guitar players.. you can back eachother up and learn from eachother
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

My preference is for two guitarists, but there are obviously some great bands with only one guitarist. With the right bassist, you can still play solos without your sound seeming empty. A fuzz pedal on the bass can put some crunch in the mix, and a bass signal split to two amps, one clean and one distorted, could fill things in great...if played right.

From a guitar perspective, the right playing technique and possibly some cool effects can keep everything sounding "big" in a live scenario. It's just a matter of experimenting.
          sigpic

Comment

One guitar all the way from my side of wiev

*guitar players are assholes anyway, two of them together...umm...NO!!!
            *I don't like to play guitar harmonies
            *I like to hear the bass, I'm a huge fan of bass guitar, so let it be heard
            *When I'm soloing I like to have a cool groovy bass line under it, I don't want to hear guitar chords
            *I can improvise a lot more
            *more freedom
            *easier to get a better sound
            *less mud
            *more room on the stage
            *no bitching from the other player that I'm better, look cooler and get more pussy than him
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I prefer 2, but it works fine with one also.

Comment

one is enough, power trio with a frontman on vocals is my preferred band. I never played in a 2 guitar band and became so used to filling up the space I doubt I could ever play in a 2 guitar band....I'v eplayed with keyboards and would take a keyboard player over a 2nd guitarist anyday.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've always played in 2 guitar bands and feel more comfortable with it. We now are down to 1.5 (my singer playes here and there). I've been edging the other guys to go the 2 guitar route again. Although, I'd be happy to find a keyboard player that could play guitar as well. That would be ideal.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

2 guitars. but then, i have a multitrack so i can plonk as many guitars on as i need without clogging up the room with egotistical assholes. i don't do live work.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I really like the texture-based approach that a lot of two-guitar bands that I listen to use, a la Fugazi, At the Drive-In, Hopesfall, Hot Water Music, etc.

Comment

I used to always be the lone gunman in my past bands but today i had a 2nd axe slinger in the band and it sounds fantastic!sure one guitar and bass can be big enough to fill the mix but having two guitars realy gives great width!also cool trading licks in solos back to back

Comment

2 guitars for me. i play keys a little and have been fortunate to play in two other bands where the other guitarist could play some keys as well - that is my ideal situation.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I like 2 guitarists, you can have rhythm behind lead, harmonies, switching off solos, and another good guitarist keeps you on your toes. Being the only guitarist can be cool too because you have more freedom, but having two makes you discipline yourself. My favorite lineup is 2 guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, of which maybe 2 guys can sing lead and everyone sings backups. That's pretty full-sounding and you can cover most musical ground that way.

Of course, assembling such a lineup is a bit harder than thinking about it!
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

the two axe attack is my preference.
                              Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                              Amp... Pioneer
                              Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Working...
                              X