Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar prep for shipping..

Yes, another one of those threads...

What precautions should I take for shipping something internationally, in terms of packing? I usually wrap the headstock and make sure the where the neck meets the case there is some bubble wrap, and make sure the body is immobile in the case as well... Outside the case packing is easy, but protecting the guitar inside the case is where I really don't know what exactly to do.

Any suggestions appreciated.

If it has locking nut, loosen the screws for it...

Comment

I would use hard foam to support the head, paticularly if the case is one of those that support the neck and leave the head in mid-air. And remember, if it has a trem make sure to take off the arm and wrap it up and get it as far away from the guitar as possible.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Slacken the strings off. And chuck a few sachets of silica gel in the case too.
        And say a few prayers.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Stuff bubble wrap in all the voids in the case.
          Make sure the guitar doesn't slide.

One other method is to line the case with plastic and then seal the guitar in a plastic back. Then fill all the voids with expanding foam.
          I saw one guitar packed this way... it didn't move.
          No mess either... just lift the plastic out of the case and then unbag the guitar.
          -Rick

Comment

User dg nailed it some days ago in another thread.

1st priority: make the body immobile.

If this is truly taken care of, there's no need to stuff anything in the leftover voids in the case. In fact, the more air around the headstock the better. Should the guitar slide a bit, the headstock will hit... air. Perfect.

Then pack the outside as good as you can.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Go see :Minty 3DR. In the Import Charvel forum and you will see what I mean.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Definitely use some soft packing material to make the guitar as snug as possible in the case. I'll stuff the case, then close it and shake the case/guitar all around to hear/feel if it's moving or not inside.
                Loosen the strings on the guitar toonot too much though if it's an OFR.

Definitely DO NOT wrap the entire guitar in bubble wrap before putting it in the case.....I had a guy do that before he shipped me a guitar from FL...when I received it in 3 days all the strings were rusted/corroded and the frets had surface rust on them too from the condensation....BAD IDEA!!!!

I'll usually then wrap the case in bubble wrap completely, then get a box that's at least a couple inches larger than the case on all dimensions. I'll get a layer or peanuts or other packing material on the bottom of the box (usually some extra cardboard as well to reinforce the end), then I'll lower the case into the box in the center and start evenly placing packing material all around and stuff the box to the max. I'll usually shake the box a bit to settle the material and fill in the voids....or I'll use a broom stick and prod the peanuts to help them settle. Then I packing tape the hell out of the box and I do the shake test again to make sure I filled the box in well enough.
                I never write anything on the box like fragile or this side up....some guys will purposely treat the package like crap then and it's not worth it.

- Joel
                RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                RIP Dime

Comment

After you properly package the guitar as others have stated above, take your guitar to your nearest DHL Express shipping center. Not only will you save money, they'll actually get your shipments to your buyer faster and safer. Really! I've shipped three guitars with DHL so far and it's been great. I've used the standard ground each time and it only takes one or two days for them to deliver. No. I don't work for DHL!

Comment

it's times like these that i wish i'd kept the original boxes for my guitars, already filled up with polystyrene (someone spell that for me, ). when it's a "pick up" only, you have less chance of selling it, but then you can't be blamed if the buyer has an unfortunate accident on their way home . the methods for uk delivery is dependent on both size and weight. the weight of the hardshell case would jack up the cost considerably.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I never like to losen the strings. I would rather the strings absorb any shock they can rather than leaving it all for the neck.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM.
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                        X