Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja View Post
    Linux!
    Being a linux / Unix guy myself I'd love to agree with you, but its just not there yet. I used it exclusively for a year, and finally I got tired of compiling programs, dealing with dependencies, non-standard updates, and crippleware.
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      no you don't
      there was no mention of needing a legal version, only that you need an XP key
      there's always one...
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        no you don't
        there was no mention of needing a legal version, only that you need an XP key
        All it takes is an $89 upgrade CD, and a copy of the windows 3.11 #1 install disket, and viola, magic, you're legal.
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          i've tried a few keys, all of which are invalid.
          maybe you should try getting a legal copy.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If I recall correctly, there is/was an offer from Microsoft that if you paid for shipping they would mail you a CD with SP2 on it. I know, because I did it back in January when my motherboard died.

Here's the link.

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
              Being a linux / Unix guy myself I'd love to agree with you, but its just not there yet. I used it exclusively for a year, and finally I got tired of compiling programs, dealing with dependencies, non-standard updates, and crippleware.
              I guess so, Ubuntu was pretty impressive for a newbie distro. I really want to get back into it. I plan on installing a unix distro on my old as hell pc when ever I get vacation from school so I can go home. I really wanted to get a linux laptop but since I'm in business there is too much dependency on MS.

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                I've been using unix for years with my job. And what amazes me is people still put up with Linux. Everything that Linux is trying to be (well it is getting better) is what the Mac OS is. A rock solid unix kernal, and a stable graphical interface on top. All the I/O, peripheral support, etc, that is a pain with Linux is built in and works fine with Mac OS. Once or twice I've even run across a Linux utility that I really wanted to use. No problem, the mac includes a X11 shell and I can run the linux program natively in there. All the stability and security of unix, the plug and play ease of windows (much easier actually).

Back to the original question: Are you over-reacting? Yeah, maybe. But that doesn't mean you're not on the right track by looking for an alternative.

Comment

Alternative such as a legal copy is a good start.

Comment

Working...
                  X