windows conspiracy? be warned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows conspiracy? be warned!

ok, i rescued my pc from certain death. i just settled for an older version of win xp pro (no service packs)... mkay...
    but when i download a .wma music file (as opposed to an .mp3), windows media player triggers a msg stating "acquiring license". it then gets you to agree to have an internet toolbar in order to get the free license.. do you get it? do you fuck! it hits you with a trojan horse or two. bastards. i swear i want a mac next year. fuck windows. ... am i overreacting?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

You're over reacting...
    Upgrade to Service Pack 2.
    Anything less than SP1 is totaly open to attacks.
    Plus M$ won't support non SP versions of XP.

The site you were getting the wma file from is the one trying to install the trojans, not the licensing engine in WMP.
    The licensing info is embedded into the wma file... it's real easy to trick an unpatched version of XP to install this crap.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-11-2006, 02:18 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

That's right......don't laugh, but my download machine has Windows ME on it. Nobody writes updates, viruses or spyware for ME....lol
      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        You're over reacting...
        Upgrade to Service Pack 2.
        Anything less than SP1 is totaly open to attacks.
        Plus M$ won't support non SP versions of XP.
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

I recently switched to Mac, I'm writing this on an iBook G4, cool laptop I think Works great, but takes some time getting used to. So unless you're willing to spend some time learning how to use it, I guess I'd recommend you to stay with Windows. And let's face it, lots more games and programs available for pc's
          "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
              $50 gets you the Windows SP2 "upgrade version" (which installs the full version if you own a previous OS) disk from Amazon. $19 after rebate if you can convince OD to pricematch.
              SP2 is a free download.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                SP2 is a free download.
                That's true, but only works if you have an XP (any version) key code. Basically it's there to upgrade anyone who has XP already without the service packs.
                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                  That's true, but only works if you have an XP (any version) key code. Basically it's there to upgrade anyone who has XP already without the service packs.

ZOMG!

-a

Comment

Computers for me is a hate/love thing.. It's a great invention and I use them on a daily basis but I'm an idiot when it comes to tech-talk
                    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                      Computers for me is a hate/love thing.. It's a great invention and I use them on a daily basis but I'm an idiot when it comes to tech-talk

That quote represents to me the quintessence of a true Mac user
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                        Imagine that, you have to have a legal copy of the software to get the updates.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            Imagine that, you have to have a legal copy of the software to get the updates.
                            no you don't
                            there was no mention of needing a legal version, only that you need an XP key
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

i've tried a few keys, all of which are invalid.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X