Steve Morse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Morse

Hadn't really heard much of Steve Morse before I picked up Stand Up (1985) the other day, must admit I think he's a pretty darn good guitar-player!
    Sure got a lot of unique things going on. Staying true to himself, playing what he wants to. Doesn's seem to give a damn about the trends/image of the time either. Apparently John Petrucci idolize the guy.
    Anyone else here like Steve Morse, or find him inspirational? Just wondering.
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

morse is a drop dead phenom.

what an unreal player. and yeah, petrucci loves the ground he walks on. they said the reason DT got a keyboardist when they started was because he loved how the Dixie Dregs had a violinist (iircc).

Comment

Saw him play with Deep Purple on my birthday at the house of blues in Blackmore's place in '98 i think it was , and he was fukkin' great that night.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Cool! Lately I've been listening a lot to Morse, Eric johnson and James Murphy. I listen to a lot of guitar albums in general.. Cool schtuff!
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Loved his playin' since I heard him for the 1st time back in... 88' or so. I guess he's still with Deep Purple. But Dixie Dregs is where he belong.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I've seen him with Kansas, Dixie Dregs and solo. Steve is a MONSTER player.
            Very low key and not flashy at all, but so froggin solid.
            To see him live is to be humbled beyond words, he makes it look so easy it is pathetic.
            Never met him but heard from plenty of people that he is real down to earth.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Morse is a friggin monster. Very versatile player. Check out some of the older Dregs stuff like Dregs of the Earth, Unsung Heroes, Freefall etc. The Steve Morse band stuff is cool too. I saw him in like 1980 with the Dregs totally by accident. We were bored and paid $3 to go to the Youngstown Agora just hoping there might be some girls there. And I saw one of the best shows ever. I'd never heard of the band before and I was totally blown away by his (and the bands) complete control of their instruments. Definitely one of my favorites.
              http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

when it comes to flat picking, Paul Gilbert is like a school girl compared to Steve, Tumeni Notes...or should I say Too Many Notes...ouch!
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I saw Eric Johnson opening up for Morse in the 80's, and Eric blew him away. Morse was playing by himself, with background tapes. Very strange. But He is one of my favorites, I loved the Dregs stuff.
                  If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

there were morons in the crowd at house of blues in hollywood saying "Blackmore sounds better than ever" I was howling at them.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Purpendicular with DP and Stressfest with the SMB are monsters. I love his playing. I saw a lesson in a mag with him explaining how to get harmonics and he just blew me away.

chuck
                      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Steve Morse is pretty much untouchable on guitar. Shelby, I dig Eric Johnson as much as anybody, and you have the right to your subjective opinion, but objectively nobody blows Morse away. Probably n ot having a live backing band would make the show less exciting, but I think most would say Morse is a better player than EJ.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm with Rich on this one, 100%. Morse is beyond anything and anyone I have ever seen. I had the pleasure of attending one of his clinics in '91 and it's something I will never forget. His mastery of the instrument as a whole is phenomenal. To watch him fly around the fretboard crafting those melodies while manipulating his tone control and pickup switches, all while flat picking arpeggios at warp speed is mind boggling. Add to that his versatility and you've got a truly one of a kind musician.

I was never a fan of the Dregs until I saw them live and then my feelings changed.

For Eric johnson, or anyone else for that matter, to blow Steve Morse away, I am convinced you saw his doppelganger that night and not the real Steve.
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

We don't need no stinkin' sweeps.

Saw him at Tip's in 1990. I was about 5 feet away from him during the entire show...with my mouth hanging open in astonishment.

He is really, REALLY good.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I went to a Steve Morse clinic many years ago and I was blown away. I think I have a few picks that he gave to the people who attended the clinic. The thing I remember most was how much he messed with his pickups and controls to get different tones. Many of us are from the 1 hum 1 knob school and I think we have missed out on the complete tone palette of the guitar. The funny part is I have never picked up any of his stuff because I really don't know what to get. What is considered his best stuff? Dixie Dregs?

Comment

Working...
                              X