Best homemade candy in the world.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best homemade candy in the world.

The hoildays are coming up and I will share with you the greatest candy recipe in the world. My Granny said so. And so does everyone else that has ever tasted it. If you like Almond Roca, this stuff blows it away. It's real simple. Big heavy duty pot. A single patch goes as follows: 1/2 pound butter; 1/2 pound IMPERIAL MARGARINE (the secret ingredient); 2 cups sugar; 1 cup water. It's a good idea to pre-melt the but-marg. You have to know your stove real well because you will come close to burning it to make it right. Combine all the ingreds and bring to a boil. Now comes the hard part. You have to constantly stir this stuff. It takes from 20 to 30 minutes to get it cooked. You may have to regulate the heat to get a nice hot boil without burning it too soon. The mixture will go from yellow to tan to brown and then to a very dark brown. The trick is to watch it bubble like lava and get a slight wiff of smoke. Get it off the heat. It's done. Have a buttered cookie sheet ready. If you want to add nuts, do it just before you are ready to pour it out. Lightly roasted pecans or diced almonds work well. Pour. Let cool and cover it with melted chocolate. It's great stuff. DO NOT USE A PLASTIC SPOON. Trust me, I know.
    Last edited by fett; 10-29-2006, 01:32 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

My mom used to make almost the exact same thing, except the nuts got added just a little bit earlier. It's like a Heath bar, but 100x better! Thanks, Fett!

Comment

It's the Imperial that makes the difference. If you lightly roast your nuts in the oven, you can add them at the end. If you have raw nuts, they can be added sooner. 45 years ago, my Granny had 3 pounds of this stuff sell for $150 at a church auction. She would coat both sides with choc and crushed walnuts. We grew up on this stuff. I thought it was her secret recipe, but I learned later that she got it out of a magazine.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: The bitch. This is the same Granny that shot me in the back with a BB Gun.
      Last edited by fett; 10-29-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I bumped this up. Try this. You will be a hero forever.

Comment

you said lightly roast your nuts
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Huh huh huh

Mm-heh
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by fett
              If you have raw nuts...
              ha
              |My CSG gallery|
              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I'm tellin' you guys, make this candy. And Racer can't have any.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

I know this is a dumb question, but what kind of chocolate should I use??
                  The Buzzard does not fear
                  The man in riot gear
                  Harvest a skull of stone
                  The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

My mom would just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with a double boiler, then pour it on & spread with a spatula. I'm not positive, but I think you can microwave them. Better check on that, though. They make milk chocolate chips too if you like that better.

Comment

Cool. Thanks!!
                      The man in riot gear
                      Harvest a skull of stone

Comment

What he said,but be real careful nuking the choc. It burns in nothing flat.

Comment

Just poured the first batch and waiting for it to cool. Pretty sure I got it right(looks about the color of the inside of a Skor candy bar). Got some crushed pecans and chocolate to top it with. Didn't mix the nuts in on this batch due to a couple of FP's that wanted plain. Two questions. Are you sure this stuff is going to come out of the cookie sheet??:ROTF: (and yes I buttered it up good). And what do you guys think about my plan to cut/break it up into pieces, dip it in chocolate, then top it with crushed pecans?
                          The man in riot gear
                          Harvest a skull of stone

Comment

Breaking it up and then dipping it seems like a good plan,that way you can have them ready in conveinient bite sized pieces!!
                            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Dipping in the chocolate & topping with the nuts sounds like a cool twist to me. More chocolate that way, which can't be a bad thing! Pics!

Damn, now I'm craving something sweet. Think I should wake my pregnant wife up & demand some fresh-baked cookies?:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X