Wayne's World Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne's World Question

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the movie "Wayne's World".. if not, go see it! (part 2 is even better).

I have a rather stupid question.. I'm in more or less the same situation as Wayne was haha. Here's the story:

There's this girl.. I really like her. She's from Hong Kong. She speaks Dutch, but she speaks Cantonese with her parents. In WW there's a scene with Wayne and Cassandra.. en they speak Cantonese to eachother. I was wondering if it what the subtitles give is actually correct? I want to learn some lines to impress her (:P). Or would that be stupid.. I don't want to mess it up.. *sigh*.

There are some websites on "how to learn Cantonese" but they don't give a good idea of the pronunciation.

And if I meet her parents then it would be nice if I can say some nice things as a sign of respect of something. Hopefully her dad doesn't challenge me to a fight haha.

If you happen to speak Cantonese, please learn me some appropriate sentences
    Last edited by AfterForever; 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM.
    "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

how sweet... try it in you local restaurant to a waitress and see if she blushes ;-)

Comment

uh the vast majority of the stuff they say is NOT accurate at all... I might be retarded since I'm posting drunk but I'm pretty sure you don't want to learn Cantonese from Wayne's World

Comment

Not a good idea. Great movie, but not much is accurate in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
          I'm pretty sure you don't want to learn Cantonese from Wayne's World

Bwahahaha.... No shit! hehehe... I just found that hilarious...

Anyways....
          Not sure where to tell you to do this, but yeah like you already want, try to learn some small amount (I'm pretty sure there are different dialects of it, so why learn much of the wrong one). Then subtly drop a little with her having a smile indicating you know you obviously suck at it, and then when she laughs at your pronounciation (and she will), you can both start working on it together. That's a great thing there... She'll probably dig it...

Comment

Just start an Anyone speak Cantonese thread, I don't think alta vista (babel fish) works on Chinese dialects
            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Dude, I REALLY don´t think you want Wayne as your Cantonese teacher

Comment

I heard that each word has like 5 different variations depending on how you pronounce each syllable...IOW, it's easy to screw it up!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Try learning it.... She'll be impressed even if you screw it up.

Comment

I know a bit of mandrin chinese and it is pretty tough to speak. I think Cantonese is harder. There are very subtle tone changes that completely change the meaning of the words. You need someone to teach you in person.

Since you are in the Netherlands just take a trip to the red light district in Amsterdam and pay one of the "ladies" to teach you!!

Comment

tell her that you will love her long time. I think that might work.
                      Is fukky--sukky Cantonese??
                      If so.. use that line too.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                        I'm pretty sure you don't want to learn Cantonese from Wayne's World
                        That is not unreasonable advice!!!,

Whatever you do don't just speak louder to her parents if they don't seem to understand you!
                        Last edited by tanpsi; 11-01-2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Day-oh-lay-no-mauw-chow-hi! See how far that gets you

Comment

I'm pretty sure you don't also want to learn Cantonese from El_Kabong!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hahaha you guys crack me up

ok, so it's a no on learning cantonese frome wayne. I travel a lot, so I see many asian people on the train stations.. I think I might ask someone there and then varify the lines they give me with someone else

Whatever you do don't just speak louder to her parents if they don't seem to understand you!
                              hahah

Day-oh-lay-no-mauw-chow-hi! See how far that gets you
                              haha hmmm.. I have no idea what that says.. enlighten us. I know that "grinding the tofu" in cantonese is a synonym for lesbian sex haha.

I think I'm better of with something like "lei döü an hou len" (you have pretty eyes).. seems like a line I can handle..

Funny thing is, I learned some Japanese lines from the "azumi" movies.. haha, I learn all my languages from watching movies it seems

thanks for the advice
                              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X